Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Dead Enemies Arskalam Mix
Here's my quick mix. What do you think?

EDIT. Improved mix later in the thread!!
What a fat bass tone! Love it, but it's louder then the rhythm guitars. As a guitar player, I cannot say I´m happy with this decision :-) I don't like the snare sound at 0:41 - too much reverb, too bright, but suprisingly it works in the mix. The toms sound very thin too, and the vocals have some strange reverb/delay effects that distract me from the main vocals from time to time. The vocal bridge at 1:36 is nice but you should seperate it from the scream. the piano sounds better with some distortion on it, the radio voice at 2:55 is nice. you should put more work in the beginning on the mosh part at 3:05 - there is no build up and you loose the flow. the part just comes in from nowhere - check the mp3 I have attached to hear how it can be done.

And yeah, the blast beat at 3:42 is terrible. you can't make the sample louder then the other snare mics in this part because it sounds unnatural. Right now it sounds like the drummer can't play blast beats which is not the case - it's the sample that kills the groove and not the drummer. Compare this with the original mix (check out the faq for this song) and you'll hear what I mean.

Anyway, good work and thx for your mix!

Edit: The examples are in mono, not stereo Smile

.mp3    Moshriff.mp3 --  (Download: 682.03 KB)

.mp3    Blastbeat.mp3 --  (Download: 516.09 KB)

Thanks for your comments!
I am also a guitar player myself so I really get your point, bass is a bit louder in the first verse, on purpose because I really like how the bass sound came out. Guitars comes to same level a bit later in 1:00, but i guess you noticed that.
I noticed that mosh part in 3:05 also and I increased the sfx track volume a bit there and blend in some reverse crash also, after I uploaded my mix here. I just didn't have time to re-upload my second mix.
You are correct that the blast beat is way too loud. For some reason I noticed it myself just yesterday when I listened this trough my car stereos, and I have already lowered the blast part.

Again, this is a really great song and fun to mix. Thanks!
Here's my improved mix.

Btw. Blitzzz there is no quicklink "Mixes and Discussion" for this song in the main page!

.mp3    DeadEnemies_Arskalam_1.mp3 --  (Download: 12.83 MB)