Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Patrick Talbot - Set Me Free
Here's my submission for the Patrick Talbot song. Enjoy!

.mp3    Patrick Talbot - Set Me Free.mp3 --  (Download: 11 MB)

Wolfstag.ca - Wolfstag Studios (recording, mixing, mastering)
Wolfstag.bandcamp.com - Wolfstag Records
Hey techtotem2000, I really enjoyed your mix!
I have nothing bad to say, everything sounds like it is where it should be, at least the way I intended, and it sounds pretty good to me.
The drum loop is not too bright nor too loud, and the transition with the real drums is not too startling, but feels natural, the drums/bass are working well together. The vocal sound natural, the bgvs are there when they are needed, the horns are nicely spread and at a nice level. The keys are driving and the keys solo is well featured. Same for the guitars.
I'd say great job! Smile
"Music, in performance, is a type of sculpture. The air in the performance is sculpted into something." - Frank Zappa

Some air moved here
Thanks for the kind words! I thought you'd love it. The 24 bit wav is even better.

My favorite one from Zappa is: "You can't always write a chord ugly enough to say what you want to say, so sometimes you have to rely on a giraffe filled with whipped cream."

Salutations de Montréal
Nice mix techtotem, As criticism i could only say that the lead voc. is little dry talking about reverb, or amybe too short but good job generally!
Fabian
Great sounding mix, extremely cohesive, very warm.
(03-03-2015, 08:07 AM)techtotem2000 Wrote: Thanks for the kind words! I thought you'd love it. The 24 bit wav is even better.

My favorite one from Zappa is: "You can't always write a chord ugly enough to say what you want to say, so sometimes you have to rely on a giraffe filled with whipped cream."

Salutations de Montréal

I think it's probably the best one I heard.
No doubt the wav would be better! Would you care to share it?

Zappa: I love the guy and his music, he was such a character, and such a dedicated musician. He was a man on a mission and one of the most important figure of the last century IMHO. In a word: a genius.

Le monde est petit! Wink
"Music, in performance, is a type of sculpture. The air in the performance is sculpted into something." - Frank Zappa

Some air moved here
Here's the 16 bit mastered version

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-Pan_F...sp=sharing

And the 24 bit no limiter version

Thanks! I wonder if your 24-bit version is really 24-bit. It has the same size and bit rate as the 16-bit version...
The mastered version is a little bit too crushed IMHO. There's quite a few digital overs.
What kind of limiter have you used? Have you used any other processing? Can you do one without clipping?
If you can't, I might try that with a few limiters I have, like Ozone, Sonnox Limiter or Slate FG-X. I think it would sound better with something more transparent.
I'd like to feature a mastered version (without the clipping) on my soundcloud, is that OK with you? Of course I would give you the credit and link to wolfstag.ca.

Some air moved here
You were right about the 24 bit version, I turned off the 16 bit quantization but forgot to change the export mode. Here's the right one:

I use Waves' L3 Multimaximiser and it's the last thing in my chain. Nothing goes above 0.00 DBFS, yes if you consider that clipping, it does clip. Still, I can't hear it in my control room nor on my macbook's soundcard with great headphones. I even checked the L3 manual again to make sure I'm right, 0.00 DBFS is not considered clip. I wonder how you heard it? . Anyway, I uploaded a less limited version:

Thanks again!

The clipping is most likely inter-sample clipping. I opened your file with the offline TTMeter and it shows over on the left and the right (this is the new one):
left right
Peak value: over --- over
Avg RMS: -11.40 dB --- -11.07 dB
DR channel: 9.46 dB --- 9.04 dB

The previous one was showing:
left right
Peak value: over --- over
Avg RMS: -9.44 dB --- -9.10 dB
DR channel: 7.89 dB --- 7.45 dB

I also loaded it in Audacity, which is great to see these things (I use it for mp3 conversion usually), you can see it on this screen shot (the lines in red are the overs):
[Image: setMeFreeLimited.png]

I usually make sure the limiter does output at -.3db (some say that it's safer to output at -1db), especially when this will later be converted to mp3 because then distortion will likely be emphasized.

I'll give it a shot with Ozone or Slate FG-X and see if I can get a good sounding version to put on soundcloud. Will keep you posted. Thanks again!

Some air moved here