Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
More questions than answers
Good afternoon everyone,
I am new to Pro Tools and this digital mixing routine. Just got started on this tune and am having a hard time with the guitar intonation. I notice that most of the mixes here have addressed this successfully.
Could I get some recommendations on best practices for pitch issues?

As always, the NOOB will take any advice given to keep me moving forward.

Added v5. I hope this shows improvement.

Thank you all in advance,

Curley

.mp3    THE LONG WAIT-BACK HOME TO BLUE_V5.mp3 --  (Download: 3.82 MB)

The bass was where I found the intonation issues. Just set a pitch corrector plugin on it and seemed to be good to go (at least to my ears).
Thanks for taking a listen. I've done two tunes from this band and the electric guitars have been somewhat off on each tune.

Questions: How do you determine key signature for Auto-Tune?
If you don't know key signature, will C Chromatic do in a pinch.

Thanks to all of you for your help. I'm pretty green at this point but having a ball with the learning process.

Curley
Hello!

I am using Pro Tools, too - i do not think that there is a tuning plugin coming with pro tools - as always, you have to buy it extra. (In Cubase for example, there is one or even two) Maybe there is a freeware for it.

You could use a better quality mp3 (256 kBit or higher) - there are some things quite hard to hear in your versions.

The bass drum seems to be over the limit / has distortion in some places. You can avoid this by carefully watching the BD-Level Wink or by putting a limiter in your Master-Channel (Maxim for example)

But do not get me wrong - the general level balance is good. Everything on its way Wink

Maybe this is nothing new, but it is what I thought, listening to the mixdown.

Best regards!
Chris
(16-03-2015, 07:39 PM)Chris V Wrote: Hello!

I am using Pro Tools, too - i do not think that there is a tuning plugin coming with pro tools - as always, you have to buy it extra. (In Cubase for example, there is one or even two) Maybe there is a freeware for it.

You could use a better quality mp3 (256 kBit or higher) - there are some things quite hard to hear in your versions.

The bass drum seems to be over the limit / has distortion in some places. You can avoid this by carefully watching the BD-Level Wink or by putting a limiter in your Master-Channel (Maxim for example)

But do not get me wrong - the general level balance is good. Everything on its way Wink

Maybe this is nothing new, but it is what I thought, listening to the mixdown.

Best regards!
Chris

Thanks Chris!!!!.......I appreciate your time. Yes there were one or two kick hits that seemed to "break out" on me. I went through each of the drum tracks to see if it was a combination of mics that caused the weird hits. I haven't been able to find it yet, but will recheck input and output levels to find it.

As far as the tuning is concerned, I really need to spend time with Antares Evo to figure it out. I have been using the C chromatic settings because I don't know what key the music is in most cases. I am going to assume that key signature is a must for proper tuning. Just don't know how to figure that out yet.

I'm new to this whole process (ProTools) at this point. I've done a ton of live mixing and actually prefer it to studio. At this point, when I mix, my head is in "live" mode. I need to figure out what "studio" mode is. I struggle with track separation and spacial clarity. My editing skills are rather limited at this point. ProTools is the most comprehensive piece of software I've ever encountered and is over my head most of the time. AND, I'm forced to do this on Sennheiser HD-280 headphones because of sound restrictions.

Again Chris, thanks for taking time to help the noob.........Curley
Hi there, just a quick response to your question about Autotune - it doesn't work on polyphonic (i.e. more than one note) sources as far as I'm aware. In other words, it's not sophisticated enough to just change one note of a chord and leave the rest unchanged - but then I don't know any software that does that. Maybe Melodyne?

In terms of your mix, I think it's a good balance, maybe a little too much reverb and delay overall? Also, I personally don't like the double-track vocal on this track so deleted it for most of the song, I think it detracts from the lead in this style rather than adding to it, but that's just my opinion.

Hope that helps, cheers, Matt
I would NEVER use Autotune, Melodyne, VariAudio, etc. in automatic mode. Really, never. When I tune vocals, basses, horns, ... , I go through the whole track note by note and edit each one properly (which also involves splitting up words into syllables, isolating consonants and ss/sh/breath sounds and dealing with each of them indivdually).

I did not do any fixes on this particular tune (my mix was a quick one), so I cannot really tell how easy or difficult it would be, but in general I find it more appropriate to just fix the few notes that really stick out as being wrong, and leave the rest alone.

Pro Tool does not have a full-blown pitch correction tool like Cubase's VariAudio, nor does it have ARA integration support for Melodyne (like Studio One and Sonar), but you can do some more or less acceptable editings in it using Elastic Pitch. I do my editings in Sonar or Studio One most of the times, with Melodyne, or in Cubase (which is my primary DAW for production and mixing) with VariAudio, if the achievable quality is sufficient for the job. I do use Pro Tools (11/12) for mixing, occasionally, but for editing jobs I always find it a little awkward and inferior compared to my other DAWs.

Here is a video by Graham Cochrane, from RecordingRevolution, about Elastic Pitch in Pro Tools:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jOB47AlS_hs