Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Patrick Talbot - A reason To Leave (boogie mix)
Hi there.This is mi first mix.I never mixed Jazz.
Please listen and review.

.mp3    Patrick Talbot - A Reason To Live (boggie mix2).mp3 --  (Download: 9.92 MB)

Hey Boggie, some good things in your mix, some that I would change... (up to you to take it into account! Wink)
I think you've pushed the overheads too much, all I hear during the verses are the cymbals, they are much louder than everything else, guitars and even vocals... I imagine you tried to get a natural sound from the drums but this is really too much. I would first fix that.
Then the contrast with the chorus wouldn't be so drastic when the drums are using hi-hats and no longer the ride and cymbals.
I quite like the guitars, but the rhythm one during the verse is too low. Vocal is fine but I'm missing the bass, it's rather buried. During the chorus in particular I think it should be stronger because it's a big part of the groove.
But for a first attempt, it's fine. Review your levels more than anything and you should be in better shape I think...
"Music, in performance, is a type of sculpture. The air in the performance is sculpted into something." - Frank Zappa

Some air moved here
(23-02-2015, 11:11 PM)ptalbot Wrote: Hey Boggie, some good things in your mix, some that I would change... (up to you to take it into account! Wink)
I think you've pushed the overheads too much, all I hear during the verses are the cymbals, they are much louder than everything else, guitars and even vocals... I imagine you tried to get a natural sound from the drums but this is really too much. I would first fix that.
Then the contrast with the chorus wouldn't be so drastic when the drums are using hi-hats and no longer the ride and cymbals.
I quite like the guitars, but the rhythm one during the verse is too low. Vocal is fine but I'm missing the bass, it's rather buried. During the chorus in particular I think it should be stronger because it's a big part of the groove.
But for a first attempt, it's fine. Review your levels more than anything and you should be in better shape I think...

Thanks a lot for your thoughts.Indeed the cymbals are very loud i noticed that too) but it comes mainly from the room tracks.I have to ask why are so many room tracks available?I muted three of them.i mean if the tracks are present i must use them in the mix? or the tracks are for diversity only and the mixer can choose whatever track he like? If i need the room tracks sound which i really like for my snare (i use two tracks of room) the cymbals gets way too loud.I mix in headphones.Sorry for my english I'm not a english native speaker.
There are many room tracks because the drums have been done in Superior Drummer 2 and I've used the bounce function inside it to create the audio, I think I've used the Roots SDX for this track, and it provides lots of ambiance mics to choose from or blend.
You're certainly not forced to use them all, it's up to you to select what you need and how much of each you want to use.
You could also use the room track(s) for the snare but low pass it or use a high shelf to cut the predominance of the cymbals.
BTW, I think your English is fine. And I'm French myself Wink
"Music, in performance, is a type of sculpture. The air in the performance is sculpted into something." - Frank Zappa

Some air moved here
(24-02-2015, 03:43 PM)ptalbot Wrote: There are many room tracks because the drums have been done in Superior Drummer 2 and I've used the bounce function inside it to create the audio, I think I've used the Roots SDX for this track, and it provides lots of ambiance mics to choose from or blend.
You're certainly not forced to use them all, it's up to you to select what you need and how much of each you want to use.
You could also use the room track(s) for the snare but low pass it or use a high shelf to cut the predominance of the cymbals.
BTW, I think your English is fine. And I'm French myself Wink

Ok thanks... Smile) i really really thought those drums are recorded and very well edited to get rid of the mic bleeding. Anyway. Nice track and nice performance.

So here is another mix version.:

.mp3    Patrick Talbot - A Reason To Live (boggie mix3).mp3 --  (Download: 9.92 MB)

I still think there's too much cymbals...
Why don't you try to use only the overheads and one room and try to get a better balance?

Some air moved here