Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Looking For Opinions
I've done a lot of live recording and mixing. I thing this mix turned out pretty good. I didn't like the room track, so I created a new room to simulate a more controlled environment. I'd love the hear what everyone thinks. I'm mixing completely in the box using Studio One and a variety of Waves emulators. Particularly the SSL plugins.

.mp3    BHTATM Hey Delilah (Kirk MIX).mp3 --  (Download: 13.48 MB)

Very, very nice!
What really caught my attention was the snare at ~0:41... Have you used a sample or something? It sounds awesome!
GREAT seperation as well!
If there's one thing I didn't like, that has to be the Pop in the lead vocals... Maybe some multiband compression on just the low end with a fast attack could help there Smile
The balance is good overall Wink
Great job!
Thanks for that. There is no sampling being done on the snare. I used the waves SSL channel plugin on a stereo bus of the combined signal from both snare tracks. I tweaked the EQ and compression until I got the sound I wanted. Then I added a small amount of and EQed plate reverb. I also did some compression tweaking on he final drum bus to enhance the transient attack of the entire kit. I like your suggestion for the vocal pops. I'll give that's a try. Thanks again.
Wow :O
Are you using the compressor on the SSL Channel or another one?
And have you got any parallel compression going on?
(22-02-2015, 05:16 PM)XENGS Wrote: Wow :O
Are you using the compressor on the SSL Channel or another one?
And have you got any parallel compression going on?

I used the compressor and EQ in the SSL plugin on the snare track itself. I used the compressor that comes with the Studio One for the drum bus. Sometimes I use a compressor in parallel with the drum bus to add a little dirt, but I didn't think it was needed for these particular tracks. I also used the NLS plugin on the buses and the controller for that on the
master bus. I used NLS as a summing mixer and to add a little harmonic distortion on the drums and the vocals. I often use this trick on the bass as well, but again, it wasn't needed on this song. The only parallel compression I used was in the mastering phase. I use Izotope Ozone 5 for that and ran the module in 4 band mid side mode at about 60%.
Great, thanks Smile
Hi,

sounds good. a bit too reverberant for my taste.
snare actually sounds a bit thin. may be check the phase with the overheads. having said that the tambourine sounds good.
well you have got the vibe u were going for.

Regards,
Blue Bus.