Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Devil's Words - My second mix on this board
Hi guys,
this is my second mix I post on this board.
First mix was "Broken Man" by "Speaking Softly".
Feel free to check that out, too Wink

This Mix had some challenges in it. First of all, the drums were horribly recorded so I had to replace them completely (only used the overheads).
Second of all I dont wanted to destroy these beautiful vocals. Worked only on them for 1-2 hours to get the maximum out of them.
They were perfectly recorded, a loooot of fine tuning, some panorama, reverb, (ducking)delay, compressed them and voila... Really great vocals.

The Rest of of mix were basics with some simple challenges here and there, more in the list below.

What I did:
- Some basic EQs on the stems to clean up (Low/Hi Cuts etc.)
- Basic volume and panorama mixing (some automation on the instrumentals and vocals, panorama mixing for the guitars/vocals etc.)
- Some delay and verb here and there (Duck delay on the second main vocals playing in the chorus, some room on the drums etc.)
- DeEssed the vocals and background vocals and freshed up the vocals after that. Also compressed the vocals because they were pretty dynamic.

All done in Cubase in approx 6-7 hrs (I forget to turn on my timekeeping plug-in everytime ...)

I really would like to get some comments from you guys and/or (constructive) criticism.

Regards,
Marcel

.mp3    devils_words_final_mix_2.mp3 --  (Download: 4.49 MB)

Hi Marcelsemelka Smile,

I listened to your mix, here is my comment:

first - I would lower the backing guitars in the verses;
second - I would spread and open the power chords (especially refrain and intro)
third - Good kick on drums but they sound (to me) a bit "closed" and not so present
Fourth - i think your mix misses some magic reverb in some place, maybe the vocals or some other stuff, in my humble opinion.

Hope this helps! Can't wait to listen to your next mix!

Greetings,
EleKtroFR.

EleKtroFR Productions - Music Producer & Mastering Engineer (aspirant)
Soundcloud: www.soundcloud.com/elektro-fr