Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sea of Leaves
Hi,

I've had a crack at another mix. Again, a song i really liked - loved the tone of the vocal, loved the choppy guitars and the slightly pop feel to it. Hope i haven't done it too much damage Confused

Please pass on some constructive criticism, i would love to know how it sounds to someone else's ears.

Cheers,
Tim

.mp3    Sea of Leaves.mp3 --  (Download: 4.42 MB)

Hi Tim - something weird going on with the stereo image for me - actually makes it hard to listen to... Have you got some kind of stereo enhancer going on or something? In fact, you must have - try listening to it in mono - the guitar completely disappears! Always make sure you check your mixes in mono...

There are other things wrong with the mix, but hard to home in on those till the stereo issue is fixed.
Thanks Laurie, you're right there was something horrible going on. I used a stereo widener on guitars which i have taken off and i think its now much better. I have also brought the main vocal forward as that seemed to be lingering at the back somewhere and taken a little reverb off the snare. I'm much happier with it now (file updated). Does it sound better to you?

I appreciate you taking the time to listen and comment!!!

Cheers,
Tim
Hi - yes, it sounds better, but I'm still getting weird stereo issues - this time it's mainly the drums (the snare in particular) which sound odd. Did you listen to it in mono? If you do, you'll hear the snare loses a load of volume and brightness, the guitars lack power and the whole mix sounds unbalanced. If you've still got any stereo enhancers on the mix, try taking them off and get the mix sounding as good as you can without them - then trying adding them back in and check the mix in mono. Personally, I'd just hard pan the rhythm guitars left and right and you'll get a nice wide sound.