Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Long Wait - Back home to blue [DaveDaG mix]
Here it is my mix version, check it up
(first time uploading here, Hi folks)

.mp3    The Long Wait - Back home to blue [DaveDaG mix].mp3 --  (Download: 9.42 MB)

(15-02-2015, 02:30 PM)DaveDaG Wrote: Here it is my mix version, check it up
(first time uploading here, Hi folks)

Thank you for sharing! Love the mix! At first I thought the guitars were too loud at low volumes, but I think I changed my mind. Drums sound full and thick, string sit nicely, bass is warming, but not damning. Vocals cut but sit beautifully. Thank you again for sharing! Could I PLEASE ask you to give a basic idea of where you started and where your AH HA moments happen?

Any advice you could offer is going to help a great many people. :-) Thanks! and GOOD WORK!
Thank for this Jondis4u,

my starting point is always the gain staging:
when the multitracks is uploaded in the DAW, the master push always too hard in the red zone
I don't touch any faders yet, I insert a Britson channel on every tracks, it provides an input fader and a VU meter.
I check the tracks one by one setting the proper gain (up or down than the recorded level) to reach something near the O VU (depending on the source)
VU meter is very helpfull to investigate about the material you're working on
You could discover sounds with so much sonic power inside (as a pad or others long attack instruments with so much bass power that even if you couldn't hear clearly it is stealing so many headroom)
Doing that kind of job I listen to every track one by one and I get all the issues I will working on mixing, at the same time I create BUS channel to organize the session as Drums, Guitars, Keys, Vocals etc.
I put the Britson BUSS on those
At the end of this first phase I obtain a rough mix with faders at 0, no pan done, but the master fader doesn't peaks in red, I can hear everything, I'm sure nothing clips, I have a clean and clear session in front of me.
That's my starting point for mixing

AH HA moments ?
never reached it, I always close too early this kind of session and that's why I'ld need the real client to motivate me for the proper finalization phase (render, hearing on some other listening envirorment, tweaking the master, automation, listen again, render again, referencing, etc. etc.)

Hi!
Very goo, indeed.

Just one thing: The acoustic guitar has a little too much brilliance on my monitors - a little too harsh. The drums could maybe use that same brillance Wink Just my opinion, of course. You got the bass surely better than I did.
Best regards,
Chris
(16-03-2015, 07:45 PM)Chris V Wrote: Hi!
Very goo, indeed.

Just one thing: The acoustic guitar has a little too much brilliance on my monitors - a little too harsh. The drums could maybe use that same brillance Wink Just my opinion, of course. You got the bass surely better than I did.
Best regards,
Chris

Thanks Chris, I'm totally agreed
After some days, with fresh ears I was able to better evaluate my mix
Right now I'm using this mix to experiment some mastering process and to verify if I could tame some mix issues working on master or I need to go back in the mixing session
That's so great for the learning curve
Experiment without any time pression
Stay tuned, I'ld be glad to receive a feedback on the new submission track
Thanks
Hey all................... I mixed this one too. I found the guitar intonation to be a huge problem. How are you folks dealing with this?
Any ideas greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance..................Curley
(22-03-2015, 10:07 PM)VANWINKLE52 Wrote: Hey all................... I mixed this one too. I found the guitar intonation to be a huge problem. How are you folks dealing with this?

I didn't tune guitars on this track, some band may detune the guitars to obtain a kind of chorus effect when layered, in this track I liked the overall impact so I kept (just my taste)
(25-03-2015, 05:58 PM)DaveDaG Wrote:
(22-03-2015, 10:07 PM)VANWINKLE52 Wrote: Hey all................... I mixed this one too. I found the guitar intonation to be a huge problem. How are you folks dealing with this?

I didn't tune guitars on this track, some band may detune the guitars to obtain a kind of chorus effect when layered, in this track I liked the overall impact so I kept (just my taste)

OK........I thought I was losing my mind. I seem to be very sensitive to pitch. Always have been. It really irritates musicians too. They don't like being told they are out of tune. Thanks.........Curley

Which one in particular are you talking about ?
I'll go back to check it and deepen