Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Young Griffo: 'Facade' borg version
Hi. This song is not very popular for mixing in this forum ))) Its my version of mixing. what you think about this???

.mp3    Young Griffo \'Facade\'.mp3 --  (Download: 6.43 MB)

Hi,

I can not really connect to this mix. It seems like you have 4 instruments playing at the same time but they are too seperated. Also do I think that the bass and kick need more body, the snare more bite and sustain, the cymbals are a bit washy and the toms undefined. The guitars sound alright, as do the vocals.

Sorry, if this sounds a bit harsh.
thanks for the criticism. one of these days I find free time and try to make a correction
Hi gvborg.

I'm gonna be as harsh as Artbass... oooops ! Smile
In less than 2 seconds, one thing is jumping to my ears : the master is more than tooooo mucccccchhhhh compressed/limited/cranked.
There's no dynamic left. And it destroys all the power that song deserves, between smooth verses and powerful verses.

I only listened to it on Auratones, so i can't give any precisions about low end and top end such as kick, bass and cohesion in the placement but it seems well done, if you take each instrument individualy, as Artbass said. I'm not convinced it works.

Maybe you should start with turning your buss processing OFF ! And then think about what you wanna do with this song. To me it appears clearly that when choruses start, we should take a huge punch in the head and heart ... feeel that power... . Maybe you should start your mix again, and start mixing choruses first. Then you'll be able to focus on energy difference listeners would like to feel between verses and choruses.

Guitars sound really good, maybe you could emphase their presence even more, IF, and only if... the versus part is light and airy... don't know how to explain precisely, as english is not my language !

Sorry for being kind'of "start it all over again", but i think you went in a wrong direction from the beginning, which can only leads you to mistakes and uncohesion of the ensemble.

Come on ! Let's do a V2 ! If we can help, we will Smile

Cheers.

Xabi
www.studiodeletang.com
Lots of bass on this mix, which is no bad thing, but it's maybe focused a little too much in the 60-150Hz zone, I think. Because it gives a powerfully bassy impression, I suspect that you may have therefore scooped the low midrange of the guitars more than really necessary in the chorus textures. It seems a bit hollow as a texture, an issue compounded because you appear to have panned the guitar multi-mics without solidifying the phase relationships, which means they rather collapse in mono, and don't support the vocal nearly as well as I'd hope -- especially on a small speaker where the bass advantage also drops out.

Speaking of the vocal, I like a lot of what you've done there in terms of processing, but the level does duck and dive, especially in the verses, so I'd spend a bit more time on the automation there. Could the chorus vocal sound have a bit of tempo-delay on it or something to give it a bit more of a size illusion?

The snare feels like it's getting a bit lost in the choruses, in a way that the kick doesn't. It's turning into a little spike, without any real sustain, which if feels like it needs to compete with the guitars.