Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Not You - First Attempt
Hi all, I am fairly new to this site and am loving the selection of multi tracks. wanted to stick up my first attempt up for a bit of feedback.

Cheers

BOB Smile

.mp3    NOT YOU.mp3 --  (Download: 7.94 MB)

Hi bob,

This is a fun site, isn't it?

First off, I'm going to say, take what I am about to say with a grain of salt, because if you take a look at my uploads of this song, you'll quickly realize I have a big pile of fail on my hands right now.

With that being said, from what I hear, these are the things I would try and work on with this mix.

Firstly, your snare sticks out in front of a lot of instruments. Not a bad route for the genre, but I feel like it's too dry (your whole kit is too dry imo), especially compared to the extremely verby guitars, and could come down a bit. Again it's a great route to go for the genre, but I think there definitely needs to be a middle ground of cohesiveness in your mix. Add a couple reverb busses for your drums, short and long, and maybe bring the verb of the guitars back a little, and maybe bring the clean (non verbed) guitars up a touch (which would allow you to use a little less reverb on the drums to try and match the guitars).

Also, watch out for the ambient drum mics, they can be really sibilancy, which can be fatiguing, especially during the guitar solo, as he's just bashing the crap out of the cymbals the entire time.

I liked the vocal tone, but the automation needs to be a little bit tighter throughout, so your levels are a little more consistent.

The bass in this song (how it was recorded) is reeeeeeaaaallly anemic. You've controlled it fairly well, but maybe I could get a little bit more of it, or maybe just a little more low end? (This is really where my mix has failed so far, but I think I may have sussed out my issue, so I think i'll take another swing at it soon)

Some of your guitar panning is a little jarring to my ear. It's a useful tool for grabbing attention, but make sure it's not too stark, or done too much. I just know my head felt off balance a few times in your mix.

Overall, I just think things need to be tightened down a touch, but I like your vision of the song. I hope you don't find this to be harsh, because I do not intend it to be!

Happy mixing!

Draper