Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Speak Softly - Broken Man (ZX) Mix
w00t! First mix of this one. Surprised nobody else has tried this. Interesting song with a lot of opportunity to experiment with the mix and quite a few challenges to overcome.

With that being said, during the verses I tried to keep it really mellow and kind of dry but when the Chorus kicks in I wanted it to really open and get a lot bigger and fuller sounding. The reasoning for this was evident in the tracks themselves and the way the song is put together. Biggest problem I found was getting those Rhodes to sound good and decent in the mix. The kick and bass were kind of tricky, but I think they turned out all right. Also, tried quite a few bits of information layered in nice and low. If I may be so bold, I really like the vocal recording on this one. Great control and overall sound I think. Barely did anything to it. Just some roll off in the low end and a slight dip to cut some of the sibilance out (didn't really find a need for de-essing when played in context of the mix).

Definitely an interesting song without a doubt.

Edit - Noticed an odd click towards the end. Turned out to be the Rhodes, so I did some automation work and tweaked a few other minors thing. Most notably being the vocal where I automated the volume of the verses and the Chorus to increase the ineligibility during the verses.

.mp3    Speak Softly - Broken Man (ZX)_2.mp3 --  (Download: 5.68 MB)

Good job! It sounds like you achieved your goal.

The voice sounds a little low and keyboards a little high just before going to the last chorus.