Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Jokers, Jacks & Kings: 'Sea Of Leaves'
Here's my mix

.mp3    Mastering7 SeaOfLeaves .mp3 --  (Download: 4.33 MB)

Nice instrumental tones on your mix - they all fit together nicely too.

It sounds like you have added some distortion to the guitar on the extreme right of the mix - that sounds a touch "papery" to me - a bit like a blown speaker. Perhaps taming the top end of the eq might give that tone a little more of a natural quality.

Balance-wise, the mix feels overly vocal heavy. The vocals sound good, just too loud. As a result, the impression of a powerful rock band playing loud, suffers. If you're finding that the vocal periodically disappears when you turn it down lower, it may be an indicator that it needs more firm dynamic control to achieve a "steady fader" state that Mike refers to in his book.

Another thing that fights against a powerful sound is the fact that the drums are being somewhat buried. The drums have plenty of low end girth to them, but that is not enough to get them to cut through the mix. Try working with the high mid area (3-7k) of the close mics to see if you can get them to "pop" more. It's often surprise how much you need to boost eq-wise in the top end to get something comparable to the drums we here on professional productions.

Overall, a great start with the tones, but some more balance work needed.
All 10 FytaKyte Multi-Tracks available for you to mix with purchase of Album here: https://fytakyte.bandcamp.com/releases
(09-02-2015, 11:24 AM)fHumble fHingaz Wrote: Nice instrumental tones on your mix - they all fit together nicely too.

It sounds like you have added some distortion to the guitar on the extreme right of the mix - that sounds a touch "papery" to me - a bit like a blown speaker. Perhaps taming the top end of the eq might give that tone a little more of a natural quality.

Balance-wise, the mix feels overly vocal heavy. The vocals sound good, just too loud. As a result, the impression of a powerful rock band playing loud, suffers. If you're finding that the vocal periodically disappears when you turn it down lower, it may be an indicator that it needs more firm dynamic control to achieve a "steady fader" state that Mike refers to in his book.

Another thing that fights against a powerful sound is the fact that the drums are being somewhat buried. The drums have plenty of low end girth to them, but that is not enough to get them to cut through the mix. Try working with the high mid area (3-7k) of the close mics to see if you can get them to "pop" more. It's often surprise how much you need to boost eq-wise in the top end to get something comparable to the drums we here on professional productions.

Overall, a great start with the tones, but some more balance work needed.

I'm new to this site so thanks for the heads up on my mix.
Yes I have added some fuzz to the guitar. I love the bellarie mic pre overdriving. Maybe I should eq it a bit.
The drums have reverb on the snare and toms. I think their in a good room could maybe be a bit louder