Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Downtempo (Sano mix)
My mix of Downtempo !

.m4a    DownTempo (Sano mix).m4a --  (Download: 10.86 MB)

Long time, man.

Overall, I really like it a lot. The way the sound effects blend in toward the end is really nice... they don't really draw attention to themselves but they do add quite a bit of character to the backdrop. In all, the moody atmosphere of the piece is well represented. There's delay on the snare with loads of feedback... it's absolutely disgusting, and I LOVE IT. Great artistic choice, I wish I'd thought of it.

There are only a few niggles to comment on IMO. The SFX in the intro with the growling animal feels like it needs compression to keep the transients under control... sometimes the level feels perfect, but now and again the growling noises jump out in front and detract a bit from the mix blend. The swell leading up to when the bass enter sounds great, but the release sort of lets me down a little. That glitchy little SFX beat could use a bit of high end and some transient enhancement to bring out the dynamics... and when the bass glides down in the transition to the main bit of the song, it's being masked a bit, so maybe you could ride that up to compensate. Only other thing is that the main loop has the tendency to make some elements blend in a little too much from time to time and could maybe use some EQ automation to keep it from interfering with the bass harmonics.

Again, overall this is really good. We have a radio program where I live called Echoes, mostly ambient electronic music... your mix really brought that to mind. Keep it up.
I'm grateful for comments and suggestions. Thank you for listening!
Not really familiar with the original mix so it's hard to compare, or know what to say for that matter, anything goes with this one. But, really enjoyed listening to this, messed up in a good, weird and spooky way, great sense of space and plenty of cool ear candy to keep things interesting.
(09-02-2015, 10:03 AM)manuke Wrote: Not really familiar with the original mix so it's hard to compare, or know what to say for that matter, anything goes with this one. But, really enjoyed listening to this, messed up in a good, weird and spooky way, great sense of space and plenty of cool ear candy to keep things interesting.

Thanks for your comments manuke much appreciated.
(09-02-2015, 01:35 AM)pauli Wrote: Long time, man.

Overall, I really like it a lot. The way the sound effects blend in toward the end is really nice... they don't really draw attention to themselves but they do add quite a bit of character to the backdrop. In all, the moody atmosphere of the piece is well represented. There's delay on the snare with loads of feedback... it's absolutely disgusting, and I LOVE IT. Great artistic choice, I wish I'd thought of it.

There are only a few niggles to comment on IMO. The SFX in the intro with the growling animal feels like it needs compression to keep the transients under control... sometimes the level feels perfect, but now and again the growling noises jump out in front and detract a bit from the mix blend. The swell leading up to when the bass enter sounds great, but the release sort of lets me down a little. That glitchy little SFX beat could use a bit of high end and some transient enhancement to bring out the dynamics... and when the bass glides down in the transition to the main bit of the song, it's being masked a bit, so maybe you could ride that up to compensate. Only other thing is that the main loop has the tendency to make some elements blend in a little too much from time to time and could maybe use some EQ automation to keep it from interfering with the bass harmonics.

Again, overall this is really good. We have a radio program where I live called Echoes, mostly ambient electronic music... your mix really brought that to mind. Keep it up.

Thanks for your comments pauli. The animal growling noise, I initially had compressed heavier until coming towards the end of my mix that I decided dammit! It's meant to be a wild beast. It doesn't want or need to be tamed lol ..so I eased up on the compression and let the growls come through more. I know you mentioned it only as a niggle but I though I'd share my thoughts on it Smile
yeah, this is one of those multis that can be interpreted pretty much any way that suits you. For me the hazard is drenching the whole thing in reverb and making the main loop even harder to mix, but those noise tracks can sorta simulate reverb in a way but the transients remove the illusion. You've definitely effected a wild beast, though.

what delay did you use on the snare? that's a cool trick.
The delay is actually a reverb with the reflections density set low, so I see why you thought it was a delay.

For the effect I reduced the reverb early reflections all the way to off and set the main tail reflections density fairly low to simulate a large space. I think I used around 40 50 ms pre delay and used a little stereo widening to separate the verb from the dry signal source signal.
I'll have to give it a try, thanks!