Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 4.67 Average
The 'Mix Rescue' mix
Here's the mix I did of this track for Sound On Sound magazine's August 2010 'Mix Rescue' column, using Reaper v3.16 with some additional third-party plug-ins. With hindsight, I think I over-egged the low end on this mix, although I do still like the way the kick and bass drive things along as a result.

.mp3    1008_Remix.mp3 --  (Download: 5.15 MB)

(17-04-2012, 08:36 AM)Mike Senior Wrote: Here's the mix I did of this track for Sound On Sound magazine's August 2010 'Mix Rescue' column, using Reaper v3.16 with some additional third-party plug-ins. With hindsight, I think I over-egged the low end on this mix, although I do still like the way the kick and bass drive things along as a result.

Hi Mike
Thank you for this amazing website...
I like the overall mix.
But i don' t like how the Bass and Kick are so strong that the vocal "get lost" inside the mix.
However i do like the energy of the Chorus...
Good job but i still think that too much energy in the mix will make the vocal sound "almost not needed".
Peacesound

(01-03-2013, 10:09 PM)Peacesound Wrote: Thank you for this amazing website...

No problem -- thanks for helping it get even better by posting feedback!

[quoteBut i don' t like how the Bass and Kick are so strong that the vocal "get lost" inside the mix.
However i do like the energy of the Chorus...
Good job but i still think that too much energy in the mix will make the vocal sound "almost not needed".[/quote]

With hindsight, I agree -- although the band liked the result, I do think I over-egged the bass and kick a bit on this mix. I do like the way it's thumping, but it comes a bit too far forward too, even on small speakers. I always like to be quite bold with my mix 'vision' if I can, but while fortune tends to favour the brave, there is always a risk of going too far! Smile Thanks for listening!

I love this song and a great mix,it needs nice fat bass it makes it.
Going to listen again now .
Like you've already said, the focus on the low end makes it sound a tad muddy, but the plus side of doing that makes the vocals very clear and intelligible. You know I've noticed something you do on the chorus of some of your mixes.. I noticed it with Endance also, and I really like it. It sounds like you sidechain the side information to a 1/4 beat to create movement and energy. I've tried to do that before but can never make it sound cohesive.. it usually ends up being too noticeable. Is something like that going on in this track? Or am I hearing things that aren't there?

If you get a chance please check out my mix: http://discussion.cambridge-mt.com/showt...p?tid=8812

Edit: I did all my mixing and feedback on my headphones, apparently it varied my perception in a bad way. After hearing your mix in the car I realized the word "muddy" wasn't accurate. The atxm50 headphones make everything sound too bassy, and you can see what that did to my mix.

-MB Pro, Core i7, High Sierra
-Apollo Quad
-PT 12.8.3
-SSL X-Desk
-Neve 542, UBK Kush Electra, Pete's Place BAC 500 Compressors, DBX 165A, Eventide Omnipressor, SPL Transient Designer
-Amphion Two18
-Jim Williams Modded GFA-555
-Burl B2 Bomber ADC
-Crane Song Solaris DAC
-Sennheiser HD650