Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My 70s style mix of 'You Are The One'
Only just spotted this one - what a treat!

This is my first mix of this - fairly straightforward approach, and tried to make it reasonably era-appropriate. Kept the FX quite basic - just a little compression, basic EQ, ADT and a tiny bit of delay on the lead guitar. I wasn't bothered by the tape noise, and couldn't hear it apart from at the start and end of the track (maybe my HF hearing is just shot, though?)

Interested in your thoughts on whether it sounds good and appropriately 70s!

.mp3    YouAreTheOne_LaurieHarrisonMix1.mp3 --  (Download: 15.73 MB)

Excellent choice of a mix candidate. This really is a great little number.

On playback, things aren't settling right for me. I can't find a comfortable playing volume for this.
Part of it is the guitar tone (both acoustic and lead) just making them a little too present and part of it is levels. I think both of these are a up a tad too much. I think you want to be careful with the guitars on this. It's kind of sounding a little "honky tonk" to me but then again, that could just be my ears. I don't think it's the delay doing it though. I think there's something else getting in there.
Old West Audio
Cheers for the feedback. I've made a few tweaks, mainly to the guitars, which I think have improved it a little, although I was struggling slightly to hear what you meant (tried it on various speakers and headphones and it sounded good to me). I think you're right that the acoustic and the lead guitar were a bit too prominent in places, so I've addressed that.

.mp3    YouAreTheOne_LaurieHarrisonMix2.mp3 --  (Download: 15.81 MB)

Nice mix - and a great song! Must put this one on my own list ...
listening with headphones through my iPad I'm liking 1st mix a lot more than the second. Nice warm and rounded 70's sound. Nice panning, balance and tone. Intro guitars maybe a little over whelming which I think could be soften with a simple eq cut in the upper mids. Nothing too drastic though! Acoustic could also be cut back a dB or two during the softer lead parts of the song just to maintain balance. I'm not sure how you're treating the master bus but sometimes some compression at 1.1 to 1 ratio 2-3 dB gain reduction really helps tie things together, but whether it needs it or not is subjective. When I get a chance I'll have a good listen on my monitors. Great work!