Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hey Delilah (mixed at The Shack)
Please have a listen. I appreciate any comments.
Perry

.mp3    Hey Delilah - Big Head Todd.mp3 --  (Download: 13.36 MB)

Hello,

The bass is a bit too much in front. Otherwise pretty good balance !
I think you can use a bit more of the reverb since it's a live. It creates the space the is specific to live versions. Here it's a bit too much dry.

That's all for me Smile
Thanks for your comments. I never know whether to mix a live recording as a with a big live sound or try and clean it up as much as I can. I did more of the second option on this one and cleaned up a lot of unnecessary bleed where it wasn't needed. After doing that I leaned towards using less reverb and vocal effects.
My background comes from live mixing in the 80's and early 90's when big wet vocals were the norm. Gotta watch I don't overcompensate and make it too dry.
I appreciate you taking the time to listen and comment. Cheers ....
I didn't find the bleeding too much annoying for this session, except maybe for the crowd microphone which brings too much low end information. A simple high pass filter can solve this problem anyway.
The musicians played very well, strong groove and superb vocals. It makes it easier for us ^^

Finally using reference tracks is very the best things we can do to mix a live. I used a John Mayer's Trio live as reference. Less intruments but the feeling was pretty close the this tune.
Hi,

i like the vibe you have going here. i just feel that vocal could be limited a bit to tame the peaks and sound smoother. like it hits in between the eyes.like few words jump out too much.the stereo image also feels a bit unbalanced in parts,the left gtr is a bit loud.

Blue Bus.

I find tambourine and high-hat on 11100Hz too overbearing. Sometimes it's quite hard to get cymbals to sound sparkly and smooth.
Good overall instrument balance though.
Bass might sound too squeezed like from low grade bass amp/combo.
Thanks for the feedback. I haven't listened to this mix in a while.
Will take another review with your comments in mind.
Cheers
I think you are being to timid with the guitars and melodic instruments. The bass and drums set the groove, the melodics capture the energy. I think you missed out on some of that energy. Vocals I think could use some better contextural effects to help them lay better. The guitar solo is also not well defined. That's a tough one but I think you can do better. I think you are pretty close to great mix. And I seem to be missing the keyboards?
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]