Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dino On The Loose: 'Queen's Light' (
This mix is pretty much dry sounding and it's not finished (toms are too lout, etc.), mixed to achieve good performance in terms of correct spectral placement of each instrument.

Mixed with Audacity.

Bass auto-ducked.

Update may fallow after trying out Reaper.

Second and third file mixed using Reaper.

Couldn't decide how to pan the instruments to get balanced sound.

The shaker on headphones sounds too loud but on speakers about normal, cowbell on headphones sounds too quite but on speakers loud enough so...

.mp3    12_Bass_dino_mast2_mp3.mp3 --  (Download: 11.66 MB)

.mp3    Dino On The Loose.mp3 --  (Download: 11.59 MB)

.mp3    Dino On The Loose2.mp3 --  (Download: 11.74 MB)

Hey sysrq, nice to meet you.

For me personally, each mix has gotten better than the previous. The first one is pretty rough with far too much going on in the bass end, but Audacity is really limited as far as mixing is concerned. For me the main issue in the Reaper-mixed versions is that some instruments are VERY upfront and in your face, but everything else is pushed very far back. I'm not one of those who thinks its best or sometimes even a good thing at all to try and create a hyper-realistic simulated space with a mix, but the front/back separation sort of implies to me that the drums and a couple of the synths are 30 feet away and the rest of the band is right in front of me, so I'd have a look and see what you could do with EQ and compression to help bring some of those elements further forward. In the case of the cowbells and faders, maybe it'd be a good idea to drop the faders a bit.

The instruments you have placed in the front however sound quite good as they are, but reconsider the musical role they are playing. The drums carry the beat, the bass provides the harmonic skeleton, and the synths/leads provide the melody. Everything else, like the percussion and organ provides interest and color, but since it isn't supportive of the melody or harmony can be deprioritized to make room for the more important musical elements. In frequency, the kick is generally the best choice for providing the deep low end where musical tone is hard to distinguish, whereas the bass guitar is generally better suited to the upper bass reaches where the notes will be heard with more clarity so that it can support the melody.

Just my thoughts... like I said, every mix got better, so you're on the right track. For this song, try soloing the kick, snare, bass and melody and balancing the four amongst eachother... then start fading the other elements in, and see how that affects your balances. Keep up the good work Smile
I'm grateful for comments and suggestions. Thank you for listening!
Hi Sysrq
I like you version I agree with pauli's comments,Sounds Just needs a little more attention on levels and effects
The synth that comes in at 0.20 sounds very soft compared to the nice punchy drums and bass .
The solo synth at 1.24 sounds a little in the background until 2.03 which moves to the front Big Grin .

(07-02-2015, 07:50 AM)pauli Wrote: Hey sysrq, nice to meet you.

For me personally, each mix has gotten better than the previous. The first one is pretty rough with far too much going on in the bass end, but Audacity is really limited as far as mixing is concerned. For me the main issue in the Reaper-mixed versions is that some instruments are VERY upfront and in your face, but everything else is pushed very far back. I'm not one of those who thinks its best or sometimes even a good thing at all to try and create a hyper-realistic simulated space with a mix, but the front/back separation sort of implies to me that the drums and a couple of the synths are 30 feet away and the rest of the band is right in front of me, so I'd have a look and see what you could do with EQ and compression to help bring some of those elements further forward. In the case of the cowbells and faders, maybe it'd be a good idea to drop the faders a bit.

The instruments you have placed in the front however sound quite good as they are, but reconsider the musical role they are playing. The drums carry the beat, the bass provides the harmonic skeleton, and the synths/leads provide the melody. Everything else, like the percussion and organ provides interest and color, but since it isn't supportive of the melody or harmony can be deprioritized to make room for the more important musical elements. In frequency, the kick is generally the best choice for providing the deep low end where musical tone is hard to distinguish, whereas the bass guitar is generally better suited to the upper bass reaches where the notes will be heard with more clarity so that it can support the melody.

Just my thoughts... like I said, every mix got better, so you're on the right track. For this song, try soloing the kick, snare, bass and melody and balancing the four amongst eachother... then start fading the other elements in, and see how that affects your balances. Keep up the good work Smile

The reason why snare drum is in the backplane of the last (third) finished version of the mix is because usually in the jazz drums act as a backbone which should not be overpowering but at the same time should fill the sound stage without getting lost.