Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pennies new mix
Added to the arrangement and moved some things around a little to avoid the "big mono" sound of the constant single guitar.

Couldn't get the kick drum to not sound like a basketball, but after a while I thought it rather fit with the sound of the toms, and I didn't feel like replacing drums on this one.

Thoughts?

.mp3    Young Griffo - Pennies - JG Mix.mp3 --  (Download: 4.74 MB)

Best I've been able to do with the kick on some of these tracks is just flatten it with an 1176 (4:1, attack and release at 9 O'clock and as much as 10 dB gain reduction on each hit) and then try to EQ back some of the beater, although I do recall being able to get this one satisfactory so it my be worth a little more playing time...

Interesting... You add in the keys?

It took me a while to figure out the guitars on this one and I did so only after putting my mix together while reading up on Mike's SOS article for the other track... The four mics are two each on two different amps with somewhat different settings being fed from the same guitar. Different mics deliberately used to get different tonal balance. So while, yes, it is one guitar, it's trying to double up. So you could do that layered in the center or you could take them and put one left and one right then take the overdubs and put them in the middle. Take one side of the rhythm part into something like melodyne and do a tiny amount of pitch and time randomization and it should pass for a legitimate double. You could even duplicate the tracks doing the same to both pairs and after your changes (and maybe a feed it through like a blue faced 1176 with the attack all the way to the left so that it doesn't engage but just colors), put pairs 1A and 2B in one speaker and 1B and 2A in the other speaker for a nice heavily layered effect.

Lots of possibilities here.
Old West Audio