Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Raft Monk - Tiring
I was really tempted to push this into a limiter but decided against it Smile I've kept the strings to be the primary focus, sidechaining a compressor on the other instruments, to push them down a bit whenever the strings are playing.

.mp3    Raft Monk - Tiring.mp3 --  (Download: 6.79 MB)

The reverb on acoustic guitars makes them sound like they have too much bottom end, the reverb's emphasis seems to be very, very low.

Despite what you're saying the mix does sound a bit like it's crammed into bus limiter. I wonder if that comes from the fact the bottom end is a bit stuffed. You can make this mix instantly more relaxing by having less of that turbo low end on the kick drum and having a bit more snap. The mix sounds a bit like you put maxxbass on the mix and turned it up to eleven.

Overall I think you've cut the mids too much; the mix is lacking a bit presence. Also it has created this weird balance where some of the instruments from which you didn't kill the mids (like bass guitar, organ wah and the horn) cut through the mix very aggressively like they don't belong in this song in the first place.
Have to say I agree. I listened to it in the car today, and the low end is not just stuffed, it's blooming all the time which makes it pretty hard to listen to. It doesn't hit the bus limiter hard at all, but it does feel like an lot of compression going on indeed. I'm going to have another go at it Smile

Thanks for the comments!