Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Patrick Talbot - Set Me Free
Really liked the tune when I heard it, so decided to have a go. I liked the way the keys, guitars and brass sounded so I just did a lowcut on them, didn't feel the need to put any effect on them either other than some gentle compression on the groups. I opened up the overall sound on the mixbus, some gentle compression again, and just a touch of limiting.

Since the bass is midi, its very even with some nice dynamics, and didn't feel the need for compression or limiting there. Same for the kick and snare but I did use parallel compression on the drums.

Looking forward to the comments.

edit: version 2, slightly lowered both the drumloop and shaker

.mp3    Patrick Talbot - Set Me Free.mp3 --  (Download: 9.39 MB)

.mp3    Patrick Talbot - Set Me Free 2.mp3 --  (Download: 9.35 MB)

Good one woosh! Glad you liked the tune too! Smile
I think it sounds great, it sounds quite open and punchy but not overbearing.
Only thing that I would adjust perhaps is the loop level which is a bit loud and has too much cymbal top to it. The shaker as well, is particularly loud, I don't think you need to push it that much.
Apart from that, great job!
"Music, in performance, is a type of sculpture. The air in the performance is sculpted into something." - Frank Zappa

Some air moved here
Thanks Patrick, and thank you for making this multitrack available. Really nice to get to mix it and have the artist comment on it. I agree on the drumloop and shaker, so did a revised version. The drumloop had me go hmmmmmmm for quite a while but it does fit in nicely now I reckon. I'm still not sure on the cymbaltop in it, I really wanted to eq it a bit to get the tick out of the kick in it.
Sounds more balanced now! Great job!
And I actually love sharing my music and hearing so many mixing interpretations of it. It gives me ideas and it's fun! Smile
Keep it up! Smile
"Music, in performance, is a type of sculpture. The air in the performance is sculpted into something." - Frank Zappa

Some air moved here
(30-01-2015, 08:38 PM)whoosh Wrote: Really liked the tune when I heard it, so decided to have a go. I liked the way the keys, guitars and brass sounded so I just did a lowcut on them, didn't feel the need to put any effect on them either other than some gentle compression on the groups. I opened up the overall sound on the mixbus, some gentle compression again, and just a touch of limiting.

Since the bass is midi, its very even with some nice dynamics, and didn't feel the need for compression or limiting there. Same for the kick and snare but I did use parallel compression on the drums.

Looking forward to the comments.

edit: version 2, slightly lowered both the drumloop and shaker

Nice job! The mix is punchy but perhaps a bit muddy in the low mids. Vocals sound cool.

I've just posted my mix - would love to hear your thoughts!

Thanks. DM
(30-01-2015, 09:56 PM)ptalbot Wrote: Good one woosh! Glad you liked the tune too! Smile
I think it sounds great, it sounds quite open and punchy but not overbearing.
Only thing that I would adjust perhaps is the loop level which is a bit loud and has too much cymbal top to it. The shaker as well, is particularly loud, I don't think you need to push it that much.
Apart from that, great job!

Hi Patrick, thanks for letting us use your session files - you've got a good vibe!

Wondered if I could get your opinion on the mix I just uploaded. I thought Steely Dan's Peg was a cool reference to use.

Cheers, DM.