Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Patrick Talbot: 'Set Me Free'
Hi!

Another nice song from Patrick Talbot!!
I've spent around three hours doing this mix, hope you enjoy!

UPDATE: Current version "V2"

.mp3    Patrick Talbot - Set Me Free.mp3 --  (Download: 11.06 MB)

.mp3    Patrick Talbot - Set Me Free_V2.mp3 --  (Download: 11.06 MB)

Cool one Valladares! And glad you liked the song Smile
I like some aspects of it, but not all. Of course it's probably highly subjective on my part because I know the track quite well Wink
The drum loop synthetic hi-hat is domineering in your mix, it's probably as high as the vocal. I think it's too much.
The snare has a good snap during most of the groovy parts, but it's possibly a bit bulky for the kind of effect you've dialed (I guess there's a good amount of plate on it, right?), it's also lower than the tom before the keyboard and guitar solo, so I would bring it up there, also the natural cymbals are very low in the mix, it seems you almost didn't use the overheads/room mics?
I like the horns, you did a good job there, I know it was probably not that easy, being a stereo track only.
I like the rhythm guitar treatment during the guitar solo, but the lead itself sound a bit too far, much farther than everything else actually. So, perhaps bring more room to the drums or bring the lead closer?
Still a solid foundation of a mix, I think. Good job! Smile
"Music, in performance, is a type of sculpture. The air in the performance is sculpted into something." - Frank Zappa

Some air moved here
Hi, Patrick!

Thank you for your feedback!

I did some adjustments based on your post. I've reduced some delay settings on the drum loop as well as the level, to make it more neutral.
I don't think that the cymbals were low on my first version - you can hear clearly at 1:25, for example. I think that they just could be more explored on the song. Even so, i've increased the OH level, they are more prominent now, as well as the lead guitar, where i've reduced he reverb and increased the level a little bit to place it upfront.
Hope you enjoy!
Sounds better to me Valladares. Good job! Smile
"Music, in performance, is a type of sculpture. The air in the performance is sculpted into something." - Frank Zappa

Some air moved here