Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I'm Alright... and hope the mix is too
I honestly do not listen to this style usually but it is a great, catchy song.

Did very little to it in regards to eq, or even compression. Mostly panning, volume swells, and a slight replace of BD and snare with samples... about a 50% mix on those.

A concern is trying to figure out what is the background and what is meant to remain fully present. The percussion track for example. Is the acoustic guitar equal to the electric. Lots of panning and swells to try and balance and add something resembling cohesion.

Some things are a matter of taste I guess.

Mix done on cheapo ALESIS monitors and a laptop, My headphones were eaten... (friggen beagle). I need better monitors as these are not full dynamic ranged.

Input is appreciated.

Thanks!

UPDATE: I keep fidgeting with it, input is needed please. I tried to comp it against a copy of a Tribe of Gypsies album.

.mp3    Im Alright.mp3 --  (Download: 6.87 MB)

Hello mr. Black Big Grin

In my opinion this song needs a lot more space to breathe, the percussion parts are too much "in your face" and there is some mud in the mix, try scooping the lower mids and high passing the piano and/or guitars (they takes too much space up).
Also you might want to try parallel compression on the vocals to get them to cut through the mix more.
The panning on the guitar solo parts is not something I would do, but it sounds interesting Smile

The mix is good, but you might wanna experiment with the panning and eq to get it just right for this style of music.

I hope that this was somewhat helpful to you.

(05-02-2015, 11:09 PM)Biscuit Wrote: Hello mr. Black Big Grin

In my opinion this song needs a lot more space to breathe, the percussion parts are too much "in your face" and there is some mud in the mix, try scooping the lower mids and high passing the piano and/or guitars (they takes too much space up).
Also you might want to try parallel compression on the vocals to get them to cut through the mix more.
The panning on the guitar solo parts is not something I would do, but it sounds interesting Smile

The mix is good, but you might wanna experiment with the panning and eq to get it just right for this style of music.

I hope that this was somewhat helpful to you.

You gave me a few ideas, I am going to split that perc track into L/R mono to give me more control over it.

The volume brought out mud in low mid area, didn't notice that. I think electric leads might need some volume trimming as well.

I will look into your advice,
Thank you, seriously.
okay I remixed the bugger from scratch, talk about over compression the first time - mostly in the mastering phase.

I made stereo of all the mono-guitars and added a hint of delay to the new additions, filled up the sound nicely. I also calmed down the panning, cut some low end but also multi-compressed it. I also put the drummers OH and percussion back a bit.

I think it is an improvement and would once more like input.

Thanks a lot
Rich

.mp3    Im Alright 2.mp3 --  (Download: 6.87 MB)