Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Improvement Series Part 2: Queen's Light
Hey guys. Part 2 of the series... if you didn't catch the first part, I've remixed several of my early efforts from scratch to get familiar with some new monitoring and acoustic treatment, and it seems like a good opportunity to demonstrate to new mix engineers the benefits of quality monitoring, controlled acoustics and experience.

Tough part on this track is getting the drums under control. There's some time misalignment and a lot of pitched resonances on the snare drum, and as such I wasn't shy with dynamic EQ on the latest version to tame them. If you'd like screenshots of the processing used, I'm more than happy to provide them.

The solos are a bit of a trick to bring out, but I wouldn't worry too much about a few dropped notes as long as the listener is subtly aware. Parallel compression is the answer with a jazz number where dynamics should be preserved if possible.

Here's the the thread with my original mix:

http://discussion.cambridge-mt.com/showt...p?tid=3364

That was the second mix I'd attempted to that point, and unsurprisingly it's pretty bad Tongue

If there's any way I might help you, let me know. Once again... paying it forward. I learned to mix from the kindness of more experienced engineers here, so spreading the wealth. Part 3 will be posted in a few days.

.mp3    queen\'s light master.mp3 --  (Download: 10.37 MB)

I'm grateful for comments and suggestions. Thank you for listening!
Mix sounds clean, low frequencies sounds tight, heavy hpf filter on infrasound, snare bit too dynamic for my taste (can't hear the strings).
Prominent dip on 139 Hz gives that nice phase shift feeling between the low frequencies and lower mids.

Studio environment gives more professional feeling to the music.