Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Impossible Colours - Dune Rider (ZX mix)
Ah yes, my second mix. After listening to the other two available I wonder if my approach will be a welcome change. Where both went more upfront with the drums, and one just going full out. Mine on the other hand is a much quieter and I think dynamic take on the song. I just did not feel that the song really needed to be upfront. The amount of little variations in the individual elements I felt did not say to me to get it nice and upfront sounding.

With that being said I did try quite a few different things that I have never really done before to achieve the final product. Nor do I think it is a particularly amazing mix. But I do believe it to be serviceable.

.mp3    Impossible Colours - Dune Rider (ZX).mp3 --  (Download: 9.4 MB)

I see the vibe you were goin for here, and albeit successfully tooCool
kind of a lounge-y/smokey B3 with hints of Floyd and Doors (at least that's what i hear); nicely done
(obviously we have different mixing tastes, haha, but cheers!)
(02-02-2013, 01:24 AM)20000 Hz Under The Sea Wrote: I see the vibe you were goin for here, and albeit successfully tooCool
kind of a lounge-y/smokey B3 with hints of Floyd and Doors (at least that's what i hear); nicely done
(obviously we have different mixing tastes, haha, but cheers!)

Haha, thanks! Different tastes in mixing is why people go to different mixers. I'm think I'm much too fan of Floyd to not let it influence me quite a bit.
i like the approach you took with the vocals and the organ. i think it is an interesting tradeoff to hear the organ drive the song instead of the guitars. the one criticism i would have is that the snare gets lost pretty much throughout the song, which has a negative effect on the groove.
(04-02-2013, 12:22 AM)Benbass1991 Wrote: i like the approach you took with the vocals and the organ. i think it is an interesting tradeoff to hear the organ drive the song instead of the guitars. the one criticism i would have is that the snare gets lost pretty much throughout the song, which has a negative effect on the groove.

I can totally get behind that. It wouldn't be too hard to remedy. Frankly, I barely did anything to the snare or the drums for that matter. But yeah I totally get that criticism about the snare. Just did a quick adjust to the snare; perhaps a bit more to your liking. Simple EQ and compression. If I'm also being perfectly honest I almost kind of forgot about the snare. At least that is what I think happened. Stuff happens.

I'm also going to be frank I really don't like mixing guitars at all. Something about them just turns me off. So, if I can feature another instrument instead I'm much happier with the end result most of the time. In this case there is a wonderful Hammond Organ to take advantage off. With that being said though, the guitars in this were pretty darn well done and they had to have their place too.

Thanks for taking the time to write a bit about it!

.mp3    Impossible Colours - Dune Rider (ZX)_2.mp3 --  (Download: 9.4 MB)

(04-02-2013, 06:37 AM)APZX Wrote:
(04-02-2013, 12:22 AM)Benbass1991 Wrote: i like the approach you took with the vocals and the organ. i think it is an interesting tradeoff to hear the organ drive the song instead of the guitars. the one criticism i would have is that the snare gets lost pretty much throughout the song, which has a negative effect on the groove.

I can totally get behind that. It wouldn't be too hard to remedy. Frankly, I barely did anything to the snare or the drums for that matter. But yeah I totally get that criticism about the snare. Just did a quick adjust to the snare; perhaps a bit more to your liking. Simple EQ and compression. If I'm also being perfectly honest I almost kind of forgot about the snare. At least that is what I think happened. Stuff happens.

I'm also going to be frank I really don't like mixing guitars at all. Something about them just turns me off. So, if I can feature another instrument instead I'm much happier with the end result most of the time. In this case there is a wonderful Hammond Organ to take advantage off. With that being said though, the guitars in this were pretty darn well done and they had to have their place too.

Thanks for taking the time to write a bit about it!

yeah what you did to the snare works really nicely.