Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
My Merrygold Mix
Hey, beautiful song. Little bit of automation going on here, maybe not quite nailed it, but I didn't want to spend more time fiddling with it.

Lemme know what you think.

.mp3    Merrygold.mp3 --  (Download: 6.96 MB)

Yes ... this is a real nice song. I'd tidy up the messy bit at the start just to give it a more professional kick off. Overall I think there is too much reverb on the vocals, or is it on the whole thing? It just lacks a bit of presence and punch for me. Maybe EQ the reverb to take out some of the bottom end. Like the guitar solo ... maybe just a bit more volume. Like the balance of the accordion and the banjo. Where are those BGV? They take some work but well worth getting in there a bit more to give the song some width and depth. She has a great voice and should shine a bit more. Hope my ramblings help ...
Hey, thanks for the feedback, I actually thought the count off was kinda nice. Yeah listening again today there's way to much reverb on the vocals. They could maybe could do with more compression too. BGVs are there, they're crazily auto tuned though so I didn't wanna bring them up too much. I know what you mean about punch, it's hard to know where to get it from, maybe the guitar. It's hard to get that bass to kick, it's soo wooly. Maybe will have another crack at it later.

Much appreciated.
Backed off the master limiter a bit, hadn't realised how hard I was hitting it. Less verb, More BVs, but I feel like the BVs are disconnected form the rest, partly to do with the auto-tune. A bit punchier, had done some silly things on the guitars. Bit more bass punch courtesy of transient designer. Vocals more up front, but there's so much spill and now so much compression on that mic that most of the mix is coming through the vocal mic. Which means that when the compression releases it pumps the instruments a bit, sometimes its nice but sometimes it's annoying.

Also cleaned the beginning and got rid of some nasty snare resonances

.mp3    Merrygold mix 2.mp3 --  (Download: 6.89 MB)

Hi George. Great job. I like this mix a lot better. If I was being picky, I'd have a play with the vocal bottom end. Not sure if you used a HPF or not, but maybe raise the frequency a bit and see if it helps the vocal to pop a fraction more. I find female vocals a real challenge to get clarity to sit nicely on the mix without getting harsh. Getting the "S's" is normally pretty easy, but the "TH" sound can be either harsh or lost. It's a balancing act, and made more difficult with a live recording. Have a listen to "let THis be my deaTH bed" at 2:55. Maybe it's just my old ears ...

Hit CTRL-S and call it done! Great mix of a great song.

Perry
Thanks for the great feedback!
Hey..

Really like your 2nd mix.. totally agree with third party!

Nice one.