Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Actions - Devil's Words (why am I not sleeping right now?)
Ok so I'm trying to improve my mixing skills, I'm fascinated with this art.

This is my first mix on this site. I don't have a lot of experience mixing actual full songs.. usually just hip hop beats and stuff so the vocals were a challenge, and I'm still not happy with these ones. I mixed most of this in headphones because my room sucks and so do my monitors. Took me a few days, prob 5 hours a night.

Two things I can criticize myself on is I didn't treat the breath on the vocal, and I think the vocal level is too high in certain areas.. but I'm tired and need to move on.

Let me know what you think. Thanks in advance for your time and comments.

Chris

.mp3    Devils Words_1.mp3 --  (Download: 7.58 MB)

-MB Pro, Core i7, High Sierra
-Apollo Quad
-PT 12.8.3
-SSL X-Desk
-Neve 542, UBK Kush Electra, Pete's Place BAC 500 Compressors, DBX 165A, Eventide Omnipressor, SPL Transient Designer
-Amphion Two18
-Jim Williams Modded GFA-555
-Burl B2 Bomber ADC
-Crane Song Solaris DAC
-Sennheiser HD650
hey there buddy
took a listen and to your mix and some thing hit me as wrong
1 vocal are to hot I ride like crap out the fader in my mix and that help a trick my friend butch showed me
2 love the bass gtr great sound
3 snare has some pokey spots and lacks energy to me. it sound like you didn't mute the drum buss when you edited out the loop so there is bleed that it weird sounding to me
but all in all great job sound good on my krk 6 and ns 10
could you share your bass setting I love how it drives the song
(22-01-2015, 09:33 PM)mike Wrote: hey there buddy
1 vocal are to hot I ride like crap out the fader in my mix and that help a trick my friend butch showed me
3 snare has some pokey spots and lacks energy to me. it sound like you didn't mute the drum buss when you edited out the loop so there is bleed that it weird sounding to me

Thanks for the feedback. I'm at work but will reply with the bass processing later.

Actually I listened to it in the car this morning for the first time and hated it. I'm so frustrated how it came out in there. The vocal sounds like its phasing or has a weird tone to it, the kick has no low power, the whole thing just sounds phasey. Sigh. Thanks for the reply though.

-Apollo Quad
-PT 12.8.3
-SSL X-Desk
-Neve 542, UBK Kush Electra, Pete's Place BAC 500 Compressors, DBX 165A, Eventide Omnipressor, SPL Transient Designer
-Amphion Two18
-Burl B2 Bomber ADC
-Crane Song Solaris DAC
-Sennheiser HD650
(22-01-2015, 11:52 PM)iShouldBsleeping Wrote:
(22-01-2015, 09:33 PM)mike Wrote: hey there buddy

Thanks for the feedback. I'm at work but will reply with the bass processing later.

Actually I listened to it in the car this morning for the first time and hated it. I'm so frustrated how it came out in there. The vocal sounds like its phasing or has a weird tone to it, the kick has no low power, the whole thing just sounds phasey. Sigh. Thanks for the reply though.

For the bass I just did some EQ and compression and added a parallel aux buss with some distortion and a little EQ. I attached the screen shot of the plugins. The picture with a lot of plugins is the main bass track, start at top left then go down then up to the middle top then down, then top right and down. The picture with just the two is the distortion parallel.

[Image: LXZcwjx.jpg]

[Image: U2sydwY.png]

-Apollo Quad
-PT 12.8.3
-SSL X-Desk
-Amphion Two18
-Burl B2 Bomber ADC
-Crane Song Solaris DAC
-Sennheiser HD650
wow thank you so much I would of never dream to take that many step but your bass is great and it works so well in the mix and I felt your mix just needed some touch up and maybe a good set of monitors would be a good investment in fact my dad has a room of old gear that he kept in the back I haven't been in there in years but I will look and see if a set of old monitor is in there cause head phones don't work well for mixing from what iam told
but if not there is a plugin from tone boosters called isone v3 it a room designer for mixing with headphones may you could get a demo of that and see if it help THNK YOU SO MUCH FOR FEEDBACK ...Wink
MIKE
(23-01-2015, 01:00 PM)mike Wrote: wow thank you so much I would of never dream to take that many step but your bass is great and it works so well in the mix and I felt your mix just needed some touch up and maybe a good set of monitors would be a good investment in fact my dad has a room of old gear that he kept in the back I haven't been in there in years but I will look and see if a set of old monitor is in there cause head phones don't work well for mixing from what iam told
but if not there is a plugin from tone boosters called isone v3 it a room designer for mixing with headphones may you could get a demo of that and see if it help THNK YOU SO MUCH FOR FEEDBACK ...Wink
MIKE

Yeah I can get a little carried on with the plugins :]

Of course I couldn't resist fixing up the mix so I'm gonna test the updated version in the car tomorrow. If it's not terrible I'll post it here.
-Apollo Quad
-PT 12.8.3
-SSL X-Desk
-Amphion Two18
-Burl B2 Bomber ADC
-Crane Song Solaris DAC
-Sennheiser HD650
Ok bro look forward to hearing it
Still can't believe I've spent so much time mixing a practice website session, but I', addicting to learning how to mix well. Anyway, this is the last version I'm doing. I want to move on to a new project. I realize the vocal is a little loud at spots and the snare is a little too loud, but it is what it is. Any feedback is appreciated.

.mp3    Devils Words_5.mp3 --  (Download: 7.59 MB)

-Apollo Quad
-PT 12.8.3
-SSL X-Desk
-Amphion Two18
-Burl B2 Bomber ADC
-Crane Song Solaris DAC
-Sennheiser HD650
(26-01-2015, 11:07 AM)iShouldBsleeping Wrote: Still can't believe I've spent so much time mixing a practice website session, but I', addicting to learning how to mix well. Anyway, this is the last version I'm doing. I want to move on to a new project. I realize the vocal is a little loud at spots and the snare is a little too loud, but it is what it is. Any feedback is appreciated.

what did you do you kill the bass sound you had and I think you just need to walk away from this one for awhile the whole thing is very overdriven if I had to pick I would say you had the right thing going the first time just needed some tune up

(27-01-2015, 01:46 AM)mike Wrote: what did you do you kill the bass sound you had and I think you just need to walk away from this one for awhile the whole thing is very overdriven if I had to pick I would say you had the right thing going the first time just needed some tune up

Well I didn't necessarily do anything to the bass sound, but I tried to add a little more low end to the kick and some more low end to the guitars, so the added low end probably masked the bass. Yeah I got too involved with this one. I just remember when I listened to the first draft in my car I was very disappointed with the kick and so from there it ended up changing everything. Sigh. Gonna start a new one. Thanks for the feedback though.

-Apollo Quad
-PT 12.8.3
-SSL X-Desk
-Amphion Two18
-Burl B2 Bomber ADC
-Crane Song Solaris DAC
-Sennheiser HD650