Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Patrick Talbot - A Reason to Leave
This mix didn't start to well. I had lots of problems with the kick and I could only sound good in the choruses part. So I decided to give myself a break and wait for a few days to continue.

Then I tried again, and nothing! so I replaced the original one with a sample including a lot of automation so the velocity was kind of similar to the original one.

I also had a very specific idea about the sound I was looking for, and I wanted to recreate a band playing in a small club. Eventually I think I didn't succeed about my original recreation, but I got very close to the idea (sorry, I have to learn more about that!), but I think that the result doesn't sound too bad, does it?

.mp3    Patrick Talbot - A Reason To Leave.mp3 --  (Download: 9.9 MB)

mixing since April 2013
I think you managed a really good ambience recreation of a jazz club, it sounds pretty natural and balanced to me! Smile
I'm not entirely convinced by the kick you've used though, I think it has too much beater (even in the chorus section).
I would try to remove some of the click. I would also try to get more definition from the bass, it's a bit undefined.
Perhaps try to dial the bass so that the part where it's walking (in the third verse) is clear enough.
Finally, the end is not suppose to be abrupt like that, it's a fade! Wink
I think if you could soften the kick just a little bit, bring up the bass definition and fade out, it would be a great mix!
"Music, in performance, is a type of sculpture. The air in the performance is sculpted into something." - Frank Zappa

Some air moved here
Hey, Patrick! thank you for your comments!

I've been working on your suggestions and I think it's now better. The kick has been soften, the bass has more definition and a fade out at the end!

It's been great to mix another one of your songs. When I finish a song, I always let my wife listen to it. Some of the songs I've mixed in my life, I play them in the car while driving. This one my wife told me: this one has to go to the car! So that's good because it means she liked it Smile

Well, the truth is that I had that in mind myself Big Grin

.mp3    Patrick Talbot - A Reason To Leave(2).mp3 --  (Download: 9.9 MB)

mixing since April 2013
Thanks Juan Jose! I'm glad you (and your wife Smile) like this one... I was looking for my own kind of blend of jazz and rock and I think it's not too badly done.

This mix sounds better, although I would still try to automate the bass during the chorus, and perhaps push the kick during the chorus as well. The fade sounds a bit short, but it's better with it than without. Wink

Thanks for the cool version!
"Music, in performance, is a type of sculpture. The air in the performance is sculpted into something." - Frank Zappa

Some air moved here
Hi, Patrick! here's the mix with some bass and kick automation during choruses. And also now the fade out is not that short anymore!!

Thank you for your comments and giving the chance to enjoy your music and practice our mixing at the same time!

If you prefer to hear a wav file instead of a mp3, you can download my mix from here:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/6z1x7km79hv0g0...9.wav?dl=0

.mp3    Patrick Talbot - A Reason To Leave(3).mp3 --  (Download: 9.73 MB)

mixing since April 2013
Sounds good to me Juan Jose! Thanks for the update. Print it! Smile

Some air moved here