Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Patrick Talbot: 'A Reason To Leave' (Mix/Master)
Here is my Mixing/Mastering version for this rhythmic tune Smile

I personally love Jazz/Rock and so the bridge is one of my personal tweaks that proves it.

Its a great song and loved to work with !!

Regards !

- JV

.mp3    Patrick Talbot - A Reason To Leave (jvquintero).mp3 --  (Download: 3.93 MB)

Hey JV! That's quite a version! Smile

There's some really cool ideas that I like a lot, for example some of the repeating vocals and the distortion on the main rhythm and the general punch in the chorus, good bass sound and the kick/snare combo during the chorus works great.

A few things that I think you could do better though:
First, I must say that I'm not a bit fan of LCR (who am I kidding, I hate it!). It's taste related perhaps but the mix sound a bit lopsided at times on headphones...
The distortion on the guitar is cool, but I find the tone a too brittle, it lacks low-end and has too much highs. I would try using a de-esser for the highs and bring back some low-end.
Some of the extra delay on the vocals during the verse sound a bit overdone, I'm not sure it's necessary.
During the verses, you are using some kind of very short delay or reverb that has a lot of highs and it sounds too effected, I would tame that. At least use a LPF or a high shelf to make it less shrill.
The distortion on the bass during the third verse (when the bass is walking) is again too shrill IMHO. Might be taste related but it sounds like digital clipping more than tube warmth and I don't think it fits the tune.
The vocal being hard panned during that part is ballsy but I would have panned it 75% instead of 100% - this is where your LCR panning is the worst on headphones, pretty irritating TBH.
The whole mix in general sound very bright, like you've applied a high shelf on the whole master.

That's about what I would change if I were in your seat. Of course, you take on board whatever you think is worth and can dismiss everything else. It's your mix and your vision after all! Wink
"Music, in performance, is a type of sculpture. The air in the performance is sculpted into something." - Frank Zappa

Some air moved here