Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
devils words NEED HELP
hi peeps
here my mix
something seems out of place to me and I don't know what it is so if you have any ideas Please shot then to me iam still very new to mixing audio and never would of started if my dad did not leave me a recording studio when he passed away so as I think he wanted me to keep his dreams alive that's why he left this this to me but before it opens back up I need to practice I've been working with his close friend butch he's a great teacher but very biz doing his band drumming and mixing thing so I turned i this forum for insight

.mp3    devils words.mp3 --  (Download: 7.42 MB)

I'd like to start off by saying I'm no pro mixing engineer, just a guy who loves doing it and is eager to learn. Also, I'm listening to this on headphones because my listening environment sucks.

Having said that, there were some things I liked about the mix and some things I did not prefer. I say prefer because after a certain point its just a matter of taste and not right or wrong. I liked tone and dynamics of the guitar, sounded nice. I felt the drums were a little too washy and sub heavy.. kind of felt like it was under water or floating. For this song I prefer tight punchy drums.

I also thought the vocal reverb didn't quite fit the rest of the mix. It seemed a little short.. like in a bathroom or something. The dynamics of the vocal were good though. I thought the verse guitar clashed a little bit with the vocal.. it was panned right on top of her. I did however really like the compression on it. I had a hard time getting that thing to sit.. the flange makes it hard for me to compress the way I wanted to.

I like the creativity with the tom placement, but it kind of seemed like they were in front of her vocal.. kind of distracted me. I wasn't really into the loop you placed in the bridge.. kind of a different vibe. I see what you were trying to do but I didn't really feel like it fit.

The songs overall dynamic balance was nice though. Has a nice balance to it.

Hope I wasn't too harsh, but I'm honest about this stuff. Criticism is what makes us improve. If you get a chance check out my mix. Thanks.

-MB Pro, Core i7, High Sierra
-Apollo Quad
-PT 12.8.3
-SSL X-Desk
-Neve 542, UBK Kush Electra, Pete's Place BAC 500 Compressors, DBX 165A, Eventide Omnipressor, SPL Transient Designer
-Amphion Two18
-Jim Williams Modded GFA-555
-Burl B2 Bomber ADC
-Crane Song Solaris DAC
-Sennheiser HD650
(22-01-2015, 02:10 PM)iShouldBsleeping Wrote: I'd like to start off by saying I'm no pro mixing engineer, just a guy who loves doing it and is eager to learn. Also, I'm listening to this on headphones because my listening environment sucks.

Having said that, there were some things I liked about the mix and some things I did not prefer. I say prefer because after a certain point its just a matter of taste and not right or wrong. I liked tone and dynamics of the guitar, sounded nice. I felt the drums were a little too washy and sub heavy.. kind of felt like it was under water or floating. For this song I prefer tight punchy drums.

I also thought the vocal reverb didn't quite fit the rest of the mix. It seemed a little short.. like in a bathroom or something. The dynamics of the vocal were good though. I thought the verse guitar clashed a little bit with the vocal.. it was panned right on top of her. I did however really like the compression on it. I had a hard time getting that thing to sit.. the flange makes it hard for me to compress the way I wanted to.

I like the creativity with the tom placement, but it kind of seemed like they were in front of her vocal.. kind of distracted me. I wasn't really into the loop you placed in the bridge.. kind of a different vibe. I see what you were trying to do but I didn't really feel like it fit.

The songs overall dynamic balance was nice though. Has a nice balance to it.

Hope I wasn't too harsh, but I'm honest about this stuff. Criticism is what makes us improve. If you get a chance check out my mix. Thanks.

thanks for the feedback there where something you said I didn't get thro like drum loop thing I don't use a drum loop just cla 73 all button in and a neve channel set to m/s set on the loop that was there already as for the drum track it self that's where I felt it was wrong but all in all you criticism is welcome iam very new to this so any feedback is good for me ill work on so for those thing
thank you so much
mike

(22-01-2015, 09:23 PM)mike Wrote: thanks for the feedback there where something you said I didn't get thro like drum loop thing I don't use a drum loop just cla 73 all button in and a neve channel set to m/s set on the loop that was there already as for the drum track it self that's where I felt it was wrong but all in all you criticism is welcome iam very new to this so any feedback is good for me ill work on so for those thing
thank you so much
mike

wait now that you mention it, I think i forgot to unmute that part when I was mixing! I didn't even know it was there lol. Woops.
-Apollo Quad
-PT 12.8.3
-SSL X-Desk
-Neve 542, UBK Kush Electra, Pete's Place BAC 500 Compressors, DBX 165A, Eventide Omnipressor, SPL Transient Designer
-Amphion Two18
-Burl B2 Bomber ADC
-Crane Song Solaris DAC
-Sennheiser HD650
You might be listening too loudly when you're mixing. Also, you're hitting your buss compressor really hard during the chorus and then during the bridge, it's lifted a lot because the mix is hitting your compressor much harder in other sections. Either bring your entire mix down (each individual fader the same amount) somewhere around 3-6 dB, or automate the bridge to hit the compressor harder, so the bridge has a little more of the same characteristic as the other sections. Overall pretty good mix, but I think you may be compressing a touch too much. If things get flabby when (if) you turn down the tracks, try reducing your attack speed on your compressor, and maybe slowing down your release. Not a sermon, just a thought!

Draper
(23-01-2015, 04:58 AM)loweche6 Wrote: You might be listening too loudly when you're mixing. Also, you're hitting your buss compressor really hard during the chorus and then during the bridge, it's lifted a lot because the mix is hitting your compressor much harder in other sections. Either bring your entire mix down (each individual fader the same amount) somewhere around 3-6 dB, or automate the bridge to hit the compressor harder, so the bridge has a little more of the same characteristic as the other sections. Overall pretty good mix, but I think you may be compressing a touch too much. If things get flabby when (if) you turn down the tracks, try reducing your attack speed on your compressor, and maybe slowing down your release. Not a sermon, just a thought!

Draper

DRAPER
thank you so much for the great feedback compression is still a weak point of mine and this is my 4th song I mixed so I will mess around with att. and release times but than you so much
mike
ok guy I try to fix some of thing you told me to
hope this is a bit better thanks

.mp3    devils words 2.mp3 --  (Download: 7.42 MB)

(23-01-2015, 02:05 PM)mike Wrote: ok guy I try to fix some of thing you told me to
hope this is a bit better thanks

I feel like the distorted guitars got lower on this mix.. If they were up some more I think it would bring out a better balance and energy. I'm still not feeling the reverb.. Not sure what it is.. especially in the chorus. The drums do sound a little punchier but they are still lacking some of that low mid range frequency that I prefer. Again though these are just preferences. Someone else might totally like the balance you made.

-Apollo Quad
-PT 12.8.3
-SSL X-Desk
-Amphion Two18
-Burl B2 Bomber ADC
-Crane Song Solaris DAC
-Sennheiser HD650