Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Impossible Colours - Dune Rider Mix
(18-02-2013, 10:44 PM)Mike Senior Wrote: This is another confident mix, with more ambience than on my (fairly stark admittedly) mix, but I like the way it's been handled. A classic kind of sound that's effective on its own terms. The vocal thinning you've applied in the verses makes sense too, and sits him about where I'd like him to be, balance-wise.

Tonally, I wonder whether you've maybe rounded off a bit too much of the guitar edginess, as it maybe reduces the sense of contrast you get between the rock sections and the jazzier bits, and there's also a sense in which it seems that the vocal delivery doesn't quite fit with such a 'safe' rock-band sound. It's almost as if you're trying to mould the recording into something pre-determined and mass-market-friendly, rather than letting it speak for itself more in an alternative psychedelic genre. These are subtle things, though, and the band would of course have to be the final arbiters on such matters. Overall masses of good stuff in there, though, so I'm splitting hairs really.

Could the final chilled-out section be a bit washier? It seems a little odd that the main section of your mix is wetter than mine, and yet your chill-out section seems drier, that's all.

I think you've kind of hit the nail on the head with molding the recording to puzzle piece a certain genre. Thinking about it I'm glad you pointed that out to me because I know from now on in my head will be however I imagine your voice to sound saying "hey, dude, is this what the band was originally intending musically?" I agree about the end as well. the instruments feel a little claustrophobic where the vox kind of have space but just in a bigger cardboard box, ha.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Impossible Colours - Dune Rider Mix - by APZX - 02-02-2013, 12:31 AM
RE: Impossible Colours - Dune Rider Mix - by APZX - 02-02-2013, 02:45 AM
RE: Impossible Colours - Dune Rider Mix - by 20000 Hz Under The Sea - 16-03-2013, 12:43 AM
RE: Impossible Colours - Dune Rider Mix - by Dags - 17-03-2013, 11:12 PM