Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Impossible Colours - Dune Rider Mix
Hey all, first time post/long time fan here.
This is my mix; any feedback welcome!

.m4a    Dune Rider Master (AAC).m4a --  (Download: 9.4 MB)

Woah! Caught me by surprise in the first 15 seconds. That is a pretty upfront mix of this song. But it does have pretty good level of clarity which is nice. Also, interesting what you did with the vocals. Sounds like a phaser maybe? Though I am kind of disappointed at the total lack of Hammond in this one. When things get full on the Hammond just kind of disappears. Especially evident at around 4 min. The song wants to go bigger but can't. You already hit the wall before and the entire thing sounds like it kind of collapses at a few points.

Despite the bit at ~4 min. I think it is a pretty good mix. Certainly gets loud and has a "big sound".
(02-02-2013, 12:31 AM)APZX Wrote: Woah! Caught me by surprise in the first 15 seconds. That is a pretty upfront mix of this song. But it does have pretty good level of clarity which is nice. Also, interesting what you did with the vocals. Sounds like a phaser maybe? Though I am kind of disappointed at the total lack of Hammond in this one. When things get full on the Hammond just kind of disappears. Especially evident at around 4 min. The song wants to go bigger but can't. You already hit the wall before and the entire thing sounds like it kind of collapses at a few points.

Despite the bit at ~4 min. I think it is a pretty good mix. Certainly gets loud and has a "big sound".

I took the approach of mixing it as if it were a hired gig and the rough mix that's posted was what was given to me, and I heard a guitar song. I agree with you on the B3 could have come up a little bit on its riffs during the verse, but I also chose to showcase it during the bridge/breakdown. The vocals just have a leslie mixed in to taste Smile
A leslie? Hmmmm, might be something I've got to try at some point. Normally, I'm just too timid with vocals to really try anything too drastic minus some delay and possibly a doubled version mixed in really low with a chorus for extra width.

But regardless, I actually dig your version quite a bit. To be honest it just kind of rocks on.
(02-02-2013, 02:45 AM)APZX Wrote: A leslie? Hmmmm, might be something I've got to try at some point. Normally, I'm just too timid with vocals to really try anything too drastic minus some delay and possibly a doubled version mixed in really low with a chorus for extra width.

But regardless, I actually dig your version quite a bit. To be honest it just kind of rocks on.

well thank ya Cool that's what I was hoping to achieve, haha.
really nice mix, i like the punch! I totally agree with you that it is a guitar song, and i like the energy you added in some parts. i think the part right before the "zen" part may be a little thick but thats only a minor criticism.
(03-02-2013, 10:12 PM)Benbass1991 Wrote: really nice mix, i like the punch! I totally agree with you that it is a guitar song, and i like the energy you added in some parts. i think the part right before the "zen" part may be a little thick but thats only a minor criticism.

I agree with you 100% about section before the "zen" part (it's been bugging me too, ha).
Thanks for the praise Cool
The tone of the drums are great especially the snare, Nice use of compression. The effect is used well. What did you run it through?
The bridge of the guitar racks is really nice too with the wide alternating spread. The ending is nice too... The breaths are captivating Wink
This is another confident mix, with more ambience than on my (fairly stark admittedly) mix, but I like the way it's been handled. A classic kind of sound that's effective on its own terms. The vocal thinning you've applied in the verses makes sense too, and sits him about where I'd like him to be, balance-wise.

Tonally, I wonder whether you've maybe rounded off a bit too much of the guitar edginess, as it maybe reduces the sense of contrast you get between the rock sections and the jazzier bits, and there's also a sense in which it seems that the vocal delivery doesn't quite fit with such a 'safe' rock-band sound. It's almost as if you're trying to mould the recording into something pre-determined and mass-market-friendly, rather than letting it speak for itself more in an alternative psychedelic genre. These are subtle things, though, and the band would of course have to be the final arbiters on such matters. Overall masses of good stuff in there, though, so I'm splitting hairs really.

Could the final chilled-out section be a bit washier? It seems a little odd that the main section of your mix is wetter than mine, and yet your chill-out section seems drier, that's all.
(18-02-2013, 10:44 PM)Mike Senior Wrote: This is another confident mix, with more ambience than on my (fairly stark admittedly) mix, but I like the way it's been handled. A classic kind of sound that's effective on its own terms. The vocal thinning you've applied in the verses makes sense too, and sits him about where I'd like him to be, balance-wise.

Tonally, I wonder whether you've maybe rounded off a bit too much of the guitar edginess, as it maybe reduces the sense of contrast you get between the rock sections and the jazzier bits, and there's also a sense in which it seems that the vocal delivery doesn't quite fit with such a 'safe' rock-band sound. It's almost as if you're trying to mould the recording into something pre-determined and mass-market-friendly, rather than letting it speak for itself more in an alternative psychedelic genre. These are subtle things, though, and the band would of course have to be the final arbiters on such matters. Overall masses of good stuff in there, though, so I'm splitting hairs really.

Could the final chilled-out section be a bit washier? It seems a little odd that the main section of your mix is wetter than mine, and yet your chill-out section seems drier, that's all.

I think you've kind of hit the nail on the head with molding the recording to puzzle piece a certain genre. Thinking about it I'm glad you pointed that out to me because I know from now on in my head will be however I imagine your voice to sound saying "hey, dude, is this what the band was originally intending musically?" I agree about the end as well. the instruments feel a little claustrophobic where the vox kind of have space but just in a bigger cardboard box, ha.