Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
MerryGold Motherload
Nice tune here, I used all of the tracks provided and edited the backup vox a bit. Lots of HP filtering and some isolated compression. I barely put any compression on the 2bus but I used a limiter with 1.5db GR to boost the final mix level to -.3db. I've only referenced in my room and headphones but it sounds nice considering the live recording setup. Any comments appreciated.

.mp3    MerryGold - Motherload Mix 1.mp3 --  (Download: 8.97 MB)

I'd like a bit more air on the vocals. Sounds just a bit dull for me. Second thoughts it needs more upper mids than air. Just need more clarity to put "in front of the mix". Also would like a bit more volume on the accordion. Really like what you've done with the back ground vocals. Acoustic guitar solo is great, but i'd like it up the middle rather than to the left. Accordion is up and down a bit in volume, better in the back half of the song. Great job on the BGV (did I already mention that). Overall a pretty nice smooth mix, but I'd like it a bit more crispness. Only listened once through on HD650 headphones, and hope my ramblings help.

(23-01-2015, 01:54 PM)Third Party Wrote: I'd like a bit more air on the vocals. Sounds just a bit dull for me. Second thoughts it needs more upper mids than air. Just need more clarity to put "in front of the mix". Also would like a bit more volume on the accordion. Really like what you've done with the back ground vocals. Acoustic guitar solo is great, but i'd like it up the middle rather than to the left. Accordion is up and down a bit in volume, better in the back half of the song. Great job on the BGV (did I already mention that). Overall a pretty nice smooth mix, but I'd like it a bit more crispness. Only listened once through on HD650 headphones, and hope my ramblings help.

Thanks Third Party,

I really appreciate your feedback, I agree with your observations havin listened back a few times to the mix in my car etc.

I just finished reading mikes book and have been working on my room a bit. I bought some rockwool today. I'm using HR824s but have some NS10s in the closet I'm planning on digging out. I'm not used to mixing live recorded stuff at all so this might have been a little over my head.

I did notice that accordion myself, thanks again for the comments.. More mixes to come eventually!
James Joseph
Pro Tools 11
UAD Quad
Chicago, USA
(16-01-2015, 09:56 PM)jmanmax Wrote: Nice tune here, I used all of the tracks provided and edited the backup vox a bit. Lots of HP filtering and some isolated compression. I barely put any compression on the 2bus but I used a limiter with 1.5db GR to boost the final mix level to -.3db. I've only referenced in my room and headphones but it sounds nice considering the live recording setup. Any comments appreciated.

Nice Man Seems smooth and warm. I can hear everything. More in your face than some. I like that.

Good work
Your mix sounds muffled but I like the warmth you achieved here . It needs more air. But I like darker tone on main vocal you have here. Bring bass down by 3 dB and brighten accordion just a tad. Also, your snare needs more highs.
(30-01-2015, 08:22 PM)Obelix Wrote: Your mix sounds muffled but I like the warmth you achieved here . It needs more air. But I like darker tone on main vocal you have here. Bring bass down by 3 dB and brighten accordion just a tad. Also, your snare needs more highs.

Thanks ... Yeah I'm learning...thanks for the input... I also thought I compressed the whole mix too hard
Hey

I really like how the bass sounds.. warm, round but I do agree with the above comments on the lack of clarity. Mind you I have only listened through my headphones.

Vocals are THE most important thing especially in a song like that. Try and monitor your mixes through as many speakers as you can.

Also, may I ask you what did you mean when you wrote "I've only referenced........ but it sounds nice [undefined=undefined]considering the live recording setup[/undefined]"?