Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Patrick Talbot -- "Blue"
i really enjoyed working on this song. i tried to give the song a sense of space without making it seem too processed or artificial.

went for a warmer, rather than a hi-fi approach to the vocals; not sure how well this translated in the mix.

i use superior drummer as well, so i knew there would be no phase issues within the drums. i'm not completely sold on my kick sound, however. i feel it's a bit too "roomy" at times, but perhaps that works in the context of the song? i EQed the low end out of the OH and drum room mics, but that kick attack is still in there. maybe a sidechain compressor on those mics would help?

thank you all in advance.

.mp3    blue.mp3 --  (Download: 10.29 MB)

I like your version! I think you succeeded in creating some space without making it sound too processed.
Only for the bgvs I would push some reverb or delay on them to make them more 'dream-like', but I like you version.
I didn't find the kick too big, it sounds like a jazz kick in a club would IMHO.
Great job! Smile
"Music, in performance, is a type of sculpture. The air in the performance is sculpted into something." - Frank Zappa

Some air moved here
thank you for the feedback!
you're right, in the context of the style, the "live" kick sound works.

in this update i added a subtle chorus and a bit of delay to the backup vocals. let me know if this is closer to what you had envisioned. ...or if i went overboard, haha.

overall this was a relatively easy mix, and i mean that as a compliment; starting off with good sounds and performances makes the mixer's job easier!

.mp3    blue 2.mp3 --  (Download: 10.29 MB)

Somehow I missed your updated mix, I just realized it was there, sorry about that.
I like what you did in that new one, the bgvs are now nice and dreamy I like them!
Great job! Smile
"Music, in performance, is a type of sculpture. The air in the performance is sculpted into something." - Frank Zappa

Some air moved here