Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Back Home To Blue - HB Mix
Had a listen to quite a few mixes before posting and I was surprised how many different arrangements there were. Love mixing this band as the lead vox is great and the songs are nicely crafted.

Listened to a lot of Natalie Merchant's album "Tiger Lilly" as a reference - hence the fairly bright country rock feel. Left pinched harmonics on the bass at 0.24 and 3.44....50/50 call on whether to remove...
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

New version, mix_02 uploaded below........had to get rid of those pinched harmonics.....driving me crazy. Also dialed back OH's a smidge

.mp3    Back Home To Blue_HB Mix_01.mp3 --  (Download: 9.5 MB)

I agree, the songs are great and I love how they were recorded. Like what you did with the DT track. Didn't think of using it that way in my mix, I opted to used it as a reverb/delay source.

There are a couple of moments in the song where the bass plays a harmonic, you need to take a look at those as right now they do make a gnarly popping sound (there is one around 3:44). Other than that, I'd lower the kick some and take the both the overheads and bass down a notch. It is punchy though.

The mix overall is pretty bright, it's nice to see how everyone does this differently for sure Smile

hey whoosh -thx for listening and for your comments Big Grin .

I wasn't a fan of the pinched harmonics on the bass - It feels like one is left hanging somewhat as a listener....and i agree that they sound pretty terrible. I was going to replace them but figured the band liked them enough to include them in their track list.....and i sort of forgot too Blush....but for sure, in a commercial situation i would strongly suggest getting rid of of them
New version, mix_02 ........had to get rid of those pinched harmonics.....driving me crazy. Also dialed back OH's a smidge

.mp3    Back Home To Blue_HB Mix_02.mp3 --  (Download: 9.5 MB)

Yeah, they do sound nice on the recording, but making them work in the mix was kinda hard. Like the new version!
(14-01-2015, 11:40 PM)whoosh Wrote: Yeah, they do sound nice on the recording, but making them work in the mix was kinda hard. Like the new version!

that's a good way of putting it....i thought they sounded pretty good soloed too.....but in the mix....a big fat pop. Glad you liked new version.

cheers