Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Black Bloc - If you want success
HI all!

As one or two others have said Thanks a MILLION Mike!!!! This site is a FANTASTIC resource for many of us, whatever our skill/equipment/knowledge level... brilliant! Big GrinBig GrinBig Grin

Great track! Definitely reminds me of early 80's (and still currently touring so i believe) Gang of four, also quite reminds me of another 80s band called Shriekback as this has that 80s 'Industrial Funk' (as we called it back then) vibe.... think i'll be checking out some more of their stuff...

Noticed a weird phase flip on the right overhead about half way through the first section so i split the file into two channels, found where it went out and used little labs ipb to reverse it at that point as automating the phase flip in cubase causes a bad click.... there's still something a little different with the snare ambience and lower mid range of the snare after the phase flip on that channel but it's well hidden in the mix....

I put the guitars a bit farther back than most seem to have done on here... mainly because to me it has quite a funky backbone.... it's really heavy on the downbeat (the one) and the rest is quite syncopated... FUNK in a word lol....and the guitars REALLY fill the spaces killing the THROB of that groove if they're too far forward.

Took quite a few liberties with effects in the mix as i thought it would help to sustain interest as it's quite a long track.

No mastering involved, just maximised it with waves L3 ultra.....
would love to hear what people think...... (runs and puts tin hat on) Wink

.mp3    The Black Bloc - If you want success 110115 - Output.mp3 --  (Download: 15.2 MB)

In my opinion this is excllent work! Looking forward to hearing more Smile
To mix or not to mix ... mix!