Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Arise and Run! The Metallurgist's dope mix.
Got a chance to listen on the Dynos.
It sounds great
Were goin to write somthin supportin Paulis words about too much effect and earcandy introduced too early, then I got the idea that its the piano ?
If you muted piano first verse the development and build of the arrangement would make more sense
To me, this moment and time of day that is.
Suggestion - free to use or scrap.
Really great effects and sound visions here !
Old ears, old gear, little boy inside love music and sounds and my wife, not necessarily in that order
Yeah, that could work, too Smile
I'm grateful for comments and suggestions. Thank you for listening!
(03-10-2014, 11:02 PM)marco Wrote: Good one to my ears!
I like the way you intended to use those spaces, and did it properly to me. Can hear lots of personality in the mix, without having that to move my attention away from the song, great goal! I'm starting to understand how movement could be created in this kind of songs, so I even learnt something from it. Sounds balanced too to my ears.
If i have to mention something that maybe could be better to me, is a little more body on vocals. Maybe a bit less high frequency on bass too, not sure 'bout that.

Appreciated your work much

Marco

thanks Marco...and thanks also for your courtesy extended to my feedback on your mix - appreciated.

i'm not so sure about your comment on the vocal. i think you gave your vocal some nice treatment, but a similar approach herein wouldn't quite work, me thinks. i have a lot of vocal FX swirling around which are adding some serious amounts of frequency material so my goal was to keep the lead vocal as clear as possible - i was after presence more than body. more body would perhaps clutter up the low-mids to my mind. you might also spot that i added a baritone to the lead? i took the lead track and dropped it down an octave to give the song a bit more textural interest. this is also filling up some valuable real estate in the low-mids.

thanks for listening and taking some time here!
catch you laters
Dave

Beware...........Cognitive Dissonance!
Great mix,real good balance too
(07-10-2014, 10:56 PM)Voelund Wrote: Another little record from DL's hands are called "So" by a guy once the singer in a british band called Genesis. Not bad music in my opinion Big Grin

Thank you for that stick explanation.
Real life has some many things goin on so I havent gotten to listen it on the dynos. Yet
Strugglin to learn 2 great songs for a funeral this friday. Hearts slone and a danish guy tim christensen love is a loosers game. Really good songs I didnt play or sing but Was asked to sing in the church.

I'll be back. Soon I hope

sorry for the late on this, Niel...

the BBC did a fantastic documentary on the making of the "So" album, which was televised around 2012, if i'm not mistaken. it had some fine interviews and offered interesting insights in it's making. i think it was DL who locked Gabriel in the "barn", then went for breakfast, fed up with the fact that he was such a procrastinator! the album took a year, apparently. the stunt didn't go down too well with Gabriel, but i think he got the message!! Big Grin

adding to this, it's worth mentioning that headphones give problems to many vocalists, and Gabriel is one of them. he uses a monitor instead. the interview of DL in the Noise album, mentioned that he didn't use headphones with Young either......because of the consequences it has on performance. nice to have the facilities, eh?

totally familiar with Genesis....my era Wink Have Trick of the Tale in my collection..

Oh, must say!!!!! i was looking for the Noise DVD in the hope of getting it 24/192? i did some research, and i'm glad i did. apparently it's only an upsampled 16 bit....the guy who made the claim posted up a pic to prove it. things are sometimes not quite how they appear on the tin, eh? no bluray 5.1 either. gutted.

---
thanks for spinning my mix on your Dyno's, it's always interesting to know how stuff translates. i'm actually going to be trialling some new monitors for a month...awaiting delivery. i'm not sure if they will be supplementing or totally replacing my Focal's (CMS50's), but the goal is to replace them. i'm going for the Pelonis Model 42's....i just luuuuuuuv coaxial tweeters! i don't need bass, and i find the stuff just keeps getting in the way of judgement during normal mixing. my Focals are actually low cut at 90Hz, if memory serves me. i've got the sub (15Hz earth shaker) if i want my hair blow dried! but now i'm REALLY digressing!

later's dude.
thanks for the heads-up....i've ALWAYS found them invaluable!

keep busy!

Love this mix - I'm a sucker for ear candy, so all the cool delays etc sound great to me. It's obvious how much work went into this.
(29-01-2015, 05:38 PM)laurieharrison Wrote: Love this mix - I'm a sucker for ear candy, so all the cool delays etc sound great to me. It's obvious how much work went into this.

Laurie, many thanks for dropping by and taking a listen, and for your kind words of appreciation.

cheers,
Dave
Hey. Took a listen.. not particularly my taste for this song. Thought the distortion on the organ was a little messy, and the song overall was just a little too trippy.. I think you deviated a little too far from the original song (for my taste). I felt a lot of the rhythm was lost.. especially in the hi hat area. Very creative though I'll give you that. If you get a chance check out my version, thanks. http://discussion.cambridge-mt.com/showt...p?tid=8236

Chris
-MB Pro, Core i7, High Sierra
-Apollo Quad
-PT 12.8.3
-SSL X-Desk
-Neve 542, UBK Kush Electra, Pete's Place BAC 500 Compressors, DBX 165A, Eventide Omnipressor, SPL Transient Designer
-Amphion Two18
-Jim Williams Modded GFA-555
-Burl B2 Bomber ADC
-Crane Song Solaris DAC
-Sennheiser HD650