Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Slow Down - A conservative approach
Unlike most mixes here which used a lot of obvious effects and instrument changes, my idea was to do a rather genre specific dry approach taking into account that this was a session recording. Up to to balance stage my mix had a pretty tidy vibe, but with further processing it became a bit more "dirty". Since I worked dozens of hours on this mix which is my first serious one I lost my perspectives somehow.
I only think that I should put a little bit of volume automation onto the lead vocals and maybe onto the piano track.

Edit:
I made some more changes. Compared to Version 2, in Version 3 I made the kick drum a bit softer by increasing the attack time on the volume shaper, reducing the saturation and tweaking the transient shaper. Furthermore, I reduced the attack time on the bass compressor and switched off the multiband compressor on the high mids to make it a bit softer as well. On the other hand I added a touch of highs on the master bus because my last mix seemed a bit dull. Finally, I did a couple of light changes on my reverbs. And by the way, I switched the deessers on the cymbals from band bass to high pass.
Overall, I think it's smoother than before.

.mp3    Slow Down.mp3 --  (Download: 5.75 MB)

.mp3    Slow Down (3).mp3 --  (Download: 5.73 MB)

Hi Daniel
Cool version just a little bottom end heavy
I can hear a lot of loose bottom end on the kick around 50 hz and below maybe the bass and kick could competing for space in the 50 hz area also . Sounds like the bass piano and maybe the vocals are competing for space in the mid bass maybe 200-300hz which cleaning up should help give the mix more punch and hopefully sound even better Big Grin.

Cheers Don
Thanks for your commentary.

There actually wasn't any loose bottom end at 50 Hz, but I spotted some nasty resonances at 125 Hz on the OH mics. I tried to change EQ and dynamic processing on the kick drum and bass guitar. I think it's a bit more balanced and lighter now. On the other hand I compared my mix with some Jamiroquai recordings from the live album in Verona which is just as heavy as my mix on the bottom end - though the mixing ain't that great there.

I'm not sure about the 200-300 Hz range, you mentioned. I examined that and couldn't find anything suspicious.

.mp3    Slow Down (2).mp3 --  (Download: 5.72 MB)

wow huge difference definitely sounds more balanced and lighter now and tighter bottom end .
I had a listen to Jamiroquai live in Verona awesome band ,the kick is mixed quite loud but I'm also guilty of boosting the kick bottom end when mixing at live gigs too lol.
The approximate frequency guessing may not have been accurate Blushbut sounds Great now Big Grin
Thanks a lot! Nice, fat bottom ends are great Big Grin I'm kind of spoilt by neo soul artists like D'Angelo or Jill Scott. But in regards of compatibility with many music systems it's probably a good idea not to overdo it.