Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Juliet's Rescue - Heartbeats (Hid Mix)
Hi Everyone!
This is my 1st post on this forum, hope u njoy my mix of this interesting song, in my opinion its a good combination of electronic groove sound, and modern rock, i tried to focus my attention on this grne changes, using several pre-delay/pre-verbs to give the voice some dynamics on this transitions, used lot of automatization (volume ,chorus-phaser on drums, final vocals), i would appreciate all critics to improve my skills on the mix, thank to Mike Senior for this amazing site, book, and multitracks on "Free Multitrack Download Library" section.

Andrés (Hidden) Big Grin

.mp3    Juliet\'s Rescue - Heartbeats (Hid Mix 01-2013).mp3 --  (Download: 8.92 MB)

very good work!!! The guitars seem to be just above the vocals during the chorus.
Interesting use of reverb on the hats, and it's also nice to hear someone giving the kick a wash too -- not done very often. I'd be tempted to give that reverbs a bit more high-pass filtering, because it distances and clouds things a touch too much for my taste -- especially on the vocals. To be honest, reverb wouldn't be my first choice on the verses of this song, because delays give better clarity and focus to the dry sound. You could probably just must your vocal reverb, I think, and maybe fade up the delay send a bit instead.

Is the snare a bit too toppy? It does cut through the chorus nicely, but it seems as if it's trying to compete too much in the regions where the cymbals, guitars, and vocals are also battling it out. If you've not already done so, multing the snare might make sense for that reason. I'd probably give the snare a touch of some kind of short reverb for the choruses too, because it's feeling a bit too forward somehow, making the guitar illusion less impressive.

Nice reverse reverb effect for the vocal break! Smile
For me its all just a wash with wet stuff and hard work to listen to
Hi Andrés!

I'm a huge fan of reverb and delays, so I didn't have a hard time listening to your mix. There were a few delay moments I totally loved: The pre-delayed intro before the vocals first enter, the "catch" delay around 2:17 which I found inspiring, that "throw it away" ping pong delay before the chorus (I also did that in my mix before hearing yours Smile ) and that cool ghost fx on the vocals in the end (although I would've probably not put it on the entire line, but that's just me).

On the critics' side, I think that things get a bit lost in the "stereosphere" after the 1st chorus. I think I see what you wanted to do - lift the song up and make it interesting, but I think it made stuff a bit unbalanced as things started sounding louder than before. Sometimes you gotta keep things in their cage (or leashed) Smile

Thanks for sharing!
Andrés!
I like the production you have done in this version - pipped me at the post for the reverse delay intro Smile Smile When I was listening to other versions of this song I thought that this effect would go really well.

Only a couple of technical pointers, and these are really aimed at getting another 10% improvement:
The vocals could come up a little bit for more of that 'pop rock' sound to the song.
Also use a LF shelf or HP filter to reduce the amount of bottom in the reverb as it tends to muddy up the mix a bit.
At 1:19 - 1:26 and again at 3:48 - 3:58 there's the 'ring out' of the left panned electric guitar that sustains for a little too long at the same level and detracts a little from the entry of the vocals of the next verse or the drop before the outro. Fading this guitar out as a transition into the next sections will cement it.

I think you have executed some brilliant production ideas and put together a mighty fine mix.

Well done!
Dags

So many songs, so little time!
Nice kick. And I love the rhytmic synths on verse!
Guitar sounds great on chorus.

I found vocals not sitting very well for some reason, they sound too far from me.
I'd prefer a different reverb, maybe less.
Hello and welcome.

I really liked your mix. But the guitars do seem a bit forward and take away from the vocals a bit. The vocals are not always as up front as I would like. I really liked the delays and the way you've used them. Overall I think your mix production ideas were excellent.
Well done. Smile

Tom