Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Java Session - Song 1 - Jamolir
Hi all!

My version of this song, enjoy!

Cheers
/J

.m4a    Java Session - Song 1 - Jamolir.m4a --  (Download: 15.53 MB)

What can I say?
Beautiful. This is the best version I heard so far.
The airiness of the snare and cymbals (although controlled) and the bass control (but at the same time punching to the right amount and incisiveness), made me dream I could achieve the same result. All thumbs and toes up! Big Grin

I'm always puzzled by the choice of moving the solos so much to the sides of the stereo image, especially when the instruments are soloing for such long minutes (it would piss off an end user). But I understand this is an artistic choice I'm too rigid about (especially since these mixes are not meant for broadcast or sale).

If you don't mind I would ask you how you configured the drum busses and which reverbs/effects where used. But if if it's a "trade secret" from you, never mind. I'll spend some MONTHS sorting this out myself Tongue

NOW that I have properly installed and calibrated monitors I can aim to your mixing results.

thank you again for sharing!
"... I'm listening. Yes."
from Switzerland
(18-01-2013, 11:21 AM)Lammy Wrote: What can I say?
Beautiful. This is the best version I heard so far.
The airiness of the snare and cymbals (although controlled) and the bass control (but at the same time punching to the right amount and incisiveness), made me dream I could achieve the same result. All thumbs and toes up! Big Grin

I'm always puzzled by the choice of moving the solos so much to the sides of the stereo image, especially when the instruments are soloing for such long minutes (it would piss off an end user). But I understand this is an artistic choice I'm too rigid about (especially since these mixes are not meant for broadcast or sale).

If you don't mind I would ask you how you configured the drum busses and which reverbs/effects where used. But if if it's a "trade secret" from you, never mind. I'll spend some MONTHS sorting this out myself Tongue

NOW that I have properly installed and calibrated monitors I can aim to your mixing results.

thank you again for sharing!

Hi Lammy!

First of all, thank you so much for the praise! It means the world to me and I would hope that every mix I did got received like this.. Smile

About the placement of soloing instruments I looked at the instruments at hand and discovered that when they didn´t "solo" they still played on and off (violin mostly, guitar all the time) and I thought that it would sound corny if I panned the soloing element to the center and then back again when there is only a few elements constructing this song. My 2 cents.. Smile

Let´s get something straight... If you think that my mix sounds better than yours and you want to know how I did it. All you have to do is ask. Heck, I´ll send you the whole session file if that helps you become a better mixer. That´s the way I wanna be treated and I think that´s why Mike Senior started this site/forum. So that we could learn from each other, and help each other. Anyone who has been in this industry longer than 6 months can tell you that making music, from the the first chord to the master print is an collaborative effort and if there´s anyone out there who thinks "-haha, I´m gonna do this all by myself and Im gonna be the most badass producer/mixer/writer/musician on the planet" is in for a surprise..

In conclusion: I´m happy to share any- or everything with you and anybody else who wants to know.

On the drum bus I used a LA2A and Waves Imager, the Imager just a little nudge to make the illusion of "air". 5-6 dB of reduction on the bus just glues it together a bit before spreading it out with the Imager.. Smile

The only reverb I used on the drums were on the snare actually, Rverb with the Plate 2 setting, tweeked a bit with the Eq feeding in to the reverb.

For the OH´s I used a Pulteq Eq, the Pulteq has such a nice high end without sounding harsh.

Thanx again!

Cheers
/J
hi jamolir i think its nice Smile
but i think that th instrement are lew at places it fells like you need to automate the volume jast a little more. Smile
nice work/
uzi
(18-01-2013, 11:56 AM)Jamolir Wrote: Let´s get something straight... If you think that my mix sounds better than yours and you want to know how I did it. All you have to do is ask. Heck, I´ll send you the whole session file if that helps you become a better mixer. That´s the way I wanna be treated and I think that´s why Mike Senior started this site/forum.

You think right!

Smile

The same goes for any of the preview mixes I've done.
My first reaction was "What a beautiful sound that is!". And then the piano came in and I thought, "What a beautiful sound that is too!" Smile

However, then the bass and drums came in and I had a couple of reservations. The first thing is that the pedal hat sounds rather spitty and without the meaty worthiness that the other instruments have exhibited. (Ooh! Just reached the violin solo -- fabulous! Back to what I was saying...) The bass, on the other hand, feels like it's out of control in the low register. It's really resonant in a way that sounds bloated to me. I took out about 5dB at 65Hz before the bass seemed balanced within itself to me, and then it was too low by comparison to the rest of the arrangement. And could the violin be a touch less present? I wonder whether it gets just a fraction too scratchy/piercing in the higher registers.

What a pleasant listen. I'm assuming that there's some subtle effects stuff going on to blend things so well and give such a nice sense of depth, but given that I can't really hear it I can only say that you've done it perfectly. Smile It reminds me of that Norah Jones record... Mmmm...

Quote:If you think that my mix sounds better than yours and you want to know how I did it. All you have to do is ask. Heck, I´ll send you the whole session file if that helps you become a better mixer.

I'll take you up on that offer -- you've got such a nice sound going there that I'd be interested to know what was going on behind the scenes. I could even host it on my server for anyone else who wanted a gander. Just let me know if the offer still stands! Smile

(PS. In general, I also wanted to say 'thanks' for your continuing contributions here -- you're really helping to make this a great educational resource!)

Hi Mike,

Thank you so much for the review!

About the remarks Smile

The bass is too muddy I agree, just installed a sub to my speakers and it really makes a difference. As I recall there was much bleed from the drums on the bass track. Usually I would prefer more "string noise" but in this case that wasn't an option.

About the HH, you're absolutely right. In the intro it sticks out in a rather unpleasant way. However, further into the song when all the instruments are playing it sits good in the mix. Automation perhaps?

Did you just compare my mix to a Norah Jones record..? Wow! Thank you so much! Smile

And yes the offer still stands! Whatever you need, no questions about it!

I actually have a project starting this weekend (on a skiing trip right now), I wonder if you would be interested in putting up the multitracks of that session here? It's a soul/blues project with a well known Blues singer here in Sweden. I'll pm you about it..

Thanks again and I'll post a new version of the mix soon!

Cheers
/Marcus
Really Nice!!

Congratulations!!!
Signature:
All feedback and comments about the mixes will be welcome Now and in the Future.
Thank in advance for each one of them and thanks to the Site, to the community and to Mike for letting us learn everyday.
Build a coherent criterion to mix have no price.
(03-03-2013, 11:40 PM)javiramallo Wrote: Really Nice!!

Congratulations!!!

Thanks! Smile
Spendid ! I agree with Mike... reminds me of the first Norah Jones album ...
Great job ! Except the bass in the low end, nothing to say.

Such a beautiful song too ... it helps Smile

The piano is amazing.... what did you do on it ?! if i may ask ....