Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
'Backroom In Tulsa' EL mix
Here's my version, and I'm quite happy.

I've listened to most others, and noted Wesleys comments, which I've tried to incorporate.

I'm not intimately familiar with the Tom Waits recordings, although I love them, and this mix draws inspiration from some other vintage sources like Johnny Cash and Violent Femmes.

Once again thanks to Mike Senior, Wesley Morgan, Oz Fritz and the band for making this wonderful recording available. The dynamics are 'ravishing' as we say where I come from!!

Hamish

.mp3    back room in tulsa EL_Mix - - 14 LUFS.mp3 --  (Download: 8.73 MB)

(15-01-2013, 02:00 AM)electricladyLAN Wrote: The dynamics are 'ravishing' as we say where I come from!!

I want to live there too.

Big Grin

(15-01-2013, 06:52 AM)Mike Senior Wrote:
(15-01-2013, 02:00 AM)electricladyLAN Wrote: The dynamics are 'ravishing' as we say where I come from!!

I want to live there too.

Big Grin

Ha! well 'ravishing' is a popular adjective, I'm not sure that I live in a town of people who live for wide, musical dynamics, but who knows!!

[/quote]
Ha! well 'ravishing' is a popular adjective, I'm not sure that I live in a town of people who live for wide, musical dynamics, but who knows!!
[/quote]

Is it down under? I have no idea where the word is coming from, as a non-commonwealth native Blush

I dare to comment on tracks that I've been working myself.
What I find disconcerting about this mix is the rule break around snare, kick and bass in the center. Either both my headphones and monitors are failing, or I have a "strange" left drift of the rythmic instruments that in my opinion is too much if done on purpose. Right channel gets piano and dobro focus. Am I missing something of key importance in doubting about the approach?

I like the piano sound that is nicely rendered and the overall difficulty of booming and resonance is solved differently from me, where you're actually accentuating the roominess on purpose (I believe).

thanks for your attention
"... I'm listening. Yes."
from Switzerland
(15-01-2013, 11:26 PM)Lammy Wrote: Is it down under? I have no idea where the word is coming from, as a non-commonwealth native Blush

I dare to comment on tracks that I've been working myself.
What I find disconcerting about this mix is the rule break around snare, kick and bass in the center. Either both my headphones and monitors are failing, or I have a "strange" left drift of the rythmic instruments that in my opinion is too much if done on purpose. Right channel gets piano and dobro focus. Am I missing something of key importance in doubting about the approach?

I like the piano sound that is nicely rendered and the overall difficulty of booming and resonance is solved differently from me, where you're actually accentuating the roominess on purpose (I believe).

thanks for your attention

Hi Lammy thanks for your comments and time. I have downloaded your two versions, and I'll give you feedback as soon as I have listened to them. This song is getting a lot of attention!!

'Ravishing' means very beautiful, it seems to be popular. Where I live (east coast australia), the lifsaver writes the water temperature on a chalkboard at the beach like "17 C - Invigorating" or now that it's our summer '22 C - Ravishing'.

The 'rule break' panning is inspired from some vintage rock stereo mixing where the bass in not panned centre. There were technical reasons for putting the bass to centre on vinyl, which later prevailed. This soundstage was revived in some roots bands (Violent Femmes in 1980s, one of my all time favourite).

Regarding the use of the room stereo, yes!! I love it so much I may have overdone it. I love the envelopment it gives, but on further listening maybe the guitar solo has been drowned.

(16-01-2013, 12:12 AM)electricladyLAN Wrote: 'Ravishing' means very beautiful, it seems to be popular. Where I live (east coast australia), the lifsaver writes the water temperature on a chalkboard at the beach like "17 C - Invigorating" or now that it's our summer '22 C - Ravishing'.

The 'rule break' panning is inspired from some vintage rock stereo mixing where the bass in not panned centre. There were technical reasons for putting the bass to centre on vinyl, which later prevailed. This soundstage was revived in some roots bands (Violent Femmes in 1980s, one of my all time favourite).

Regarding the use of the room stereo, yes!! I love it so much I may have overdone it. I love the envelopment it gives, but on further listening maybe the guitar solo has been drowned.

Ah ah now I understand. I immediately recycled the ravishing term with my (Brit) colleagues. Gained some laughs. What would be the chalkboard definition for the -6 we had here in Switzerland this morning? Tongue

Always a good chance like in this case to revise some glories. Violent Femmes will become part of my collection soon...
cheers
"... I'm listening. Yes."
from Switzerland

There is a definite difference in the meanings or usage of the verb 'to ravish' (very little used) and the adjective, 'ravishing'. My Australian dictionary defines it as meaning 'enchanting', which is like 'magical'.

My 'beautiful' definition given earlier is not accurate.

-6 degrees? 'Polar', 'Ouch' not for me!

Probably Violent Femmes is not truely 'roots'. They were described as 'Psyco-billy'. Punk mixed with american traditional influnces. First two albums. Third album saw a big change in style with a funk sound being purveyed (also excellent though).
My biggest critique would be that the use of ambience on the voice makes it sound far from the listener. One of the stylistic parts of what I do when I sing is to sound like I am right next you, whispering in your ear. It's kind of my trick, but it seems to work wonders and convey a certain sexiness. I'd be interested to hear the contrast of an upfront vocal and you ambient drums. Might start to sound like "Love Sick" from Bopb Dylan.
(27-02-2013, 10:26 PM)WesleyMorgan Wrote: My biggest critique would be that the use of ambience on the voice makes it sound far from the listener. One of the stylistic parts of what I do when I sing is to sound like I am right next you, whispering in your ear. It's kind of my trick, but it seems to work wonders and convey a certain sexiness. I'd be interested to hear the contrast of an upfront vocal and you ambient drums. Might start to sound like "Love Sick" from Bopb Dylan.

Yeah, vocals too wet for me too, but liking everything else a lot, great sense of space.

I agree too. I do mean to get around to fixing that, one day.