Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My Mix!
Hey! If I could get some feedback on this is would be great! I'd love to know how to improve on it Smile

.mp3    Mix1.mp3 --  (Download: 7.43 MB)

I liked this mix a lot. Really meaty ensemble sound, but not without leaving space for the lead vocals to shine through clearly. It's brutally efficient on the small speakers in general, which seems appropriate for the style, but it would bear a bit more kick drum in the balance nonetheless, as well as a bit more in the 60-80Hz region for those with more wide-band listening systems. I'd also be a bit more careful of the 4-6kHz region in the choruses, because it feels slightly too heavily pushed to me, and makes this a less attractive listen at high volume than it need be, I think.

You appear to have fairly comprehensively smashed it into some kind of fast limiter, which I'm not sure I really agree with, because you're throwing away punch even before a mastering engineer has started maximising the level. It also appears to be introducing some kind of unappealing modulation distortion in places like 1:40. I reckon something a bit slower on the buss would give you better subjective loudness illusion, as well as leaving a bit more leeway for mastering processing. It'd also let more kick LF through.

Interesting solution to the multitrack's abrupt ending cut-out -- and the fade-out actually works quite nicely too. Could it be quicker though?
(18-02-2013, 01:32 PM)Mike Senior Wrote: I liked this mix a lot. Really meaty ensemble sound, but not without leaving space for the lead vocals to shine through clearly. It's brutally efficient on the small speakers in general, which seems appropriate for the style, but it would bear a bit more kick drum in the balance nonetheless, as well as a bit more in the 60-80Hz region for those with more wide-band listening systems. I'd also be a bit more careful of the 4-6kHz region in the choruses, because it feels slightly too heavily pushed to me, and makes this a less attractive listen at high volume than it need be, I think.

You appear to have fairly comprehensively smashed it into some kind of fast limiter, which I'm not sure I really agree with, because you're throwing away punch even before a mastering engineer has started maximising the level. It also appears to be introducing some kind of unappealing modulation distortion in places like 1:40. I reckon something a bit slower on the buss would give you better subjective loudness illusion, as well as leaving a bit more leeway for mastering processing. It'd also let more kick LF through.

Interesting solution to the multitrack's abrupt ending cut-out -- and the fade-out actually works quite nicely too. Could it be quicker though?

Thanks for getting back to me Mike! I do agree that I probably pushed it a little too much with the limiter! ahah.

Unfortunately I have deleted this project to save space on the hard drive but I'll most likely take another song on board and give it a go with some of the advice you've given me!

Thanks again! Smile