Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Long Wait: 'Back Home To Blue'
oufff, Dave!! so much to think about! but I believe that the best way to improve is by knowing where your mistakes are. So again, you gave me some work to study and to learn.

There are things that you pointed out and I entirely agree that I need to work some more on: compression and instrument placing. They are things that are still hard for me and I found that compression is not as simple as many people say in those YouTube tutorials. But I'm very interested in learning more and more, so it is good to know things that need more attention than others.

No, I don't spend the same ammount of time mixing than before. Now I need much more. Why? probably because I'm more aware of problems and I have more ideas to apply to my mixes than before. I know I'm still too far from being good at this, but I know that I'm closer than last year, for example! Smile

Thank you for your detailed analysis and hints for improvement!! Happy New Year!!
mixing since April 2013
I like the instrument sounds and also vox feels good to me.

And I’m quite sure that the balance are pretty good, but your kick is extremely loud for this genre. If you check with meters I’m sure you’ll notice that it gives an enourmous low end boost. It prevents me from listening the balace issues properly

If you fix that kick, you’ll have a very nice sounding mix here.

If you don’t have any frequency analyisis tool, take this one: http://www.bluecataudio.com/Products/Pro...eqAnalyst/. I’m using it. It’s free. I have it always in my master bus. I think it’s very good practice for hobbyist like us to compare frequency spectrum of high quality mixes to one’s own. Naturally you have to pick your reference’s from the same genre. (It would be a bad idea to compare modern rap to retro folk rock.)
Here's my mix again with some changes after the comments and suggestions I got in the first place.

I can't remember all of them, but the kick is lower, the snare plate reverb's settings changed, some more automation added, voice resonances checked and removed the ones I found, bass with more presence plus some other things that I can't remember... too many for this old head!! Big Grin

Olli, the analyzer you told me doesn't work on my daw (presonus studio one). I'm using span by voxengo instead

.mp3    The Long Wait - Back Home To Blue(v2).mp3 --  (Download: 9.31 MB)

mixing since April 2013
Γεια σου Χουάν!! Το τελευταίο mix είναι εξαιρετικά καλό! Το μόνο που έχει περιθώρια βελτίωσης είναι το μπάσο. Θα προτιμούσα να το είχες 1-2 db πιο δυνατά κ να χαμήλωνες κάπως το high-mid range του, γιατί ακούγεται κάπως λεπτό. Παρ' ολ' αυτά μου αρέσουν οι χροιές που έχεις κάνει στα υπόλοιπα όργανα και λατρεύω το reverb στο snare!!! Μπράβο! Big Grin