Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My mix on Sea of leaves
Any comment welcomed

.mp3    sea of leaves.mp3 --  (Download: 7.29 MB)

Now this is a nice mix! Clear vocals, punchy drums, full low end.

I particularly like the way you treated the toms - you managed to get them to sound full and punchy without those trashy "tin-can-y" overtones. This was a particular concern, because the resonances in the toms can easily fight the harmony of the song if they are not brought under control.

A couple of minuses that I noticed:
The chorus seems to lose energy compared to the pre-chorus. It sounds like the mix buss compression may be clamping down on the midrange elements & making the guitars sound "smaller" when they should be bigger. In any case, automation of the guitars is probably the trick to lifting this section.

Continuing with the chorus, the energy could also be lifted by perhaps adding some ambience (delays?) to the vocals there. The snare also sounds a little bit "naked" & dry during the chorus - perhaps turning up the room mics or even adding a bit of reverb just during that section might increase the sense of "size" & "epic-ness".

Generally though - top job!

All 10 FytaKyte Multi-Tracks available for you to mix with purchase of Album here: https://fytakyte.bandcamp.com/releases