Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Yours truly's mix
I went for a wetter and somewhat "gritty" sound.

.mp3    Backroom In Tulsa.mp3 --  (Download: 8.73 MB)

Love the general vibe -- a nice alternative vision. However, the balance is a bit disconcerting for me, with the drums in particular dominating rather too much over the rest, so that it doesn't feel enough like an ensemble piece any more. Some quality time with an Auratone should sort that out, though.
Thank You very much for the feedback!
I actually feel the same - the drums are a bit overpowering, but lowering them took some of that vibe away from it..... I also tried to take a bit more 4-600hz out of the room-mics, but that was even worse IMO.
I will try and narrow the stereo of the room a bit and adjust volume a tad, and see if I can find a nice alternative "in between"
Regarding Auratones : I whish....
I just finished building broadband-absorbers, cloud and basstraps so it'll have to do for now :-)
Note to self : Try and make the drums glue at low volume....
I tried to tame the drums a bit, made the solo-gt appear a bit wetter, ditto with pedalsteel and some other bits you only hear the day after Smile
(It's a petty the piano is compressed this much - I tried expansion without much luck. And a china-cymbal here and there would've been great....)

.mp3    BackroomInTulsa-18 m master.mp3 --  (Download: 8.71 MB)

(10-01-2013, 09:38 AM)jakobole Wrote: Regarding Auratones : I whish....

It needn't be an original -- there are a few decent modern substitutes that are pretty cost-effective.

Cool - thanks for the links!
I'm currently using a couple of crappy logitech speaksers as the "crappy reference", but maybe I need less crappy, haha.
I tried the auratone impulse in reaverb - I'm impressed! Gonna try it out asap....
Very cool vision. It is like the honky-tonk in hell version.

I only have a few comments.

1. I would try to identify the interesting bits and really emphasis them when they pop up, particularly when the vocals aren't in. The drum hit on the downbeat at 0:27 is a good example. I would like to hear that hotter, then have the drums back off as the vocals come in. There are all sorts of moments like that which can be highlighted when the vocals aren't in.

2. The electric guitar overdub is not present during verse 2 and is mixed pretty low during the solo. That part is almost like the vocal in terms of prominence. During verse 2 it can be ducked a bit to highlight other instruments, particularly when it is sustaining notes. But the part should be much higher for the guitar solo

3. The vocals are getting buried during the third verse. I am starting to lose the presence and clarity.

Overall, very cool. I dig it rough like this.

Thanks,
Wesley

(10-01-2013, 04:10 PM)jakobole Wrote: I tried to tame the drums a bit, made the solo-gt appear a bit wetter, ditto with pedalsteel and some other bits you only hear the day after Smile
(It's a petty the piano is compressed this much - I tried expansion without much luck. And a china-cymbal here and there would've been great....)

Cool - I'll look into automating these bits, and see if I can find more bits to emphasize.
As to note 3 : It really is a fine fine line Smile
And hat's off to You and the band - I really dig this tune Wesley.
I've never mixed anything like this before, so I was on the lookout for some nicely recorded stuff in this genre.....I've mainly been mixing/doing electronic music and also mixed some heavy metal.
I'm having a blast trying out some other techniques...