Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Slow down
I like the vibe of this song. It sounds like it was played live and recorded live. I do not dig backing vocals. I wish I could add a bit of delay on main vocal, but I left it dry cause the mic picked up to much background noise and when i put a noise gate on it, it just sounds unnatural and not pleasing at all.

.mp3    slow down.mp3 --  (Download: 7.17 MB)

Good EQ and mix but the harsh panning is a bit distracting, specially on headphones
(19-12-2014, 05:52 AM)sickfiction Wrote: Good EQ and mix but the harsh panning is a bit distracting, specially on headphones

I know, but I like wide mixes. You only have 3 important places to pan instruments: it is 100L, C and 100R. Others are no mans land, and are useful for percussion and fx. Let me try mono mix of this one. I hope it would sound better to you.
Here it is, mono.

.mp3    mono mix.mp3 --  (Download: 7.18 MB)

Saying that there's only LCR or mono is an over-simplification and a hurtful one IMHO.
I would agree that there's not a world of difference between 30% and 35% right for example, but there are useful panning spaces that you are just not using because of the LCR dogma.
I'd say 25/50/75 left or right are perfectly usable and distinct and can make your mixes sound much more natural than pure LCR.
"Music, in performance, is a type of sculpture. The air in the performance is sculpted into something." - Frank Zappa

Some air moved here
(19-12-2014, 05:03 PM)ptalbot Wrote: Saying that there's only LCR or mono is an over-simplification and a hurtful one IMHO.
I would agree that there's not a world of difference between 30% and 35% right for example, but there are useful panning spaces that you are just not using because of the LCR dogma.
I'd say 25/50/75 left or right are perfectly usable and distinct and can make your mixes sound much more natural than pure LCR.

Yes it is. 5OL and 50R are useful. But back in the early days of stereo they did not have pan pots. Instead they had pan switches that could go hard left, hard right and center. It was in 60s and in 70s done that way. You would say that now is 2014, but LCR works for me just as fine as it worked for the people back then.
If you want to achieve the 60s sound perhaps, but since then people have used the full stereo spectrum and it's a shame to limit yourself like that because of a dogma. Saying that it has worked for you is not listening to people that are saying that your hard panning is disturbing. A lot of people listen with headphones nowadays and not taking this into account is an error IMHO.
Reverting to mono because you state that there is nothing else is screwy logic.
But that's your mix and you do whatever you want, just don't be surprised if you have clients who will not be happy about it being unlistenable in headphones or finding you mono mix flat sounding.
"Music, in performance, is a type of sculpture. The air in the performance is sculpted into something." - Frank Zappa

Some air moved here
RCL is an acceptable way of approaching a mix. Many mixer engineers are doing great jobs with that. But you have to accept, that here we are sending and receiving opinions, no matter if we like them or not.
I just heard the song on my monitors and the panning is really annoying. I won't say anything about what you could try beacuse I think you won't take any advice.
Sounds good man! There are no rules! I think RCL is restricting though. A good way to make all of the instruments stand out in a mix is to not pan them all on the same number. I pan my widest instruments 100 and everything else 99-95. toms around 25-0-25. I also pan my snare and hihats to the right no more than 10 so it makes room for the vocals but it still sounds like it's in the center. Panning in between RCL for certain instruments, sounds or fx's can really make them pop out.
(20-12-2014, 10:55 PM)AleSanchez Wrote: RCL is an acceptable way of approaching a mix. Many mixer engineers are doing great jobs with that. But you have to accept, that here we are sending and receiving opinions, no matter if we like them or not.
I just heard the song on my monitors and the panning is really annoying. I won't say anything about what you could try beacuse I think you won't take any advice.

I will take the advice. I will try to pan things narrower.