Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average
Too Bright Flymix
here I leave my mix, mixing in a box with Cubase, waves plugins.
hope you like it, comments and suggestions are well accepted.

from Argentina

Sergio

.mp3    Mu Too Bright.mp3 --  (Download: 10.55 MB)

The drums and instruments are good sounding. I do not like the sound of main vocal. That sound is more suited towards country than electronica. Backing vocals, the ones that sing lower part are too loud, while others are muddy.

Thanks Obelix take this into account when making a new remix
I really like the way the rhodes sounds; sounds to me like you put some really snappy compressor on it.

I considered the verse snares to be bit thin in your mix. They were that way inherently; I remember adding like 15 dBs of bottom end to the snare tracks to make them sound normal.

I personally find it a bit boring if all the tracks have same kind of reverb the same amount. Have you ever considered using reverb to create a contrast between instrument instead of using it as tool to mesh up all the tracks together into a single space? How about, say keeping the vocal bone dry while adding lots of reverb to the Rhodes to push it far back in the mix? Food for thought Smile

I think you took the wrong direction with the chorus approach. When you have such few elements, you've got all the space to make all the instruments as big as you ever wish them to be. Mainly I'm talking about the synth bass, don't corner it into the bottom end but let it take over the full spectrum. Same with vocals, no need to "make them sit in the mix", there's barely anything that's gonna get in their way. When mixed like this the chorus sounds like it's missing instruments.

I personally find it a bit boring if all the tracks have same kind of reverb the same amount. Have you ever considered using reverb to create a contrast between instrument instead of using it as tool to mesh up all the tracks together into a single space? How about, say keeping the vocal bone dry while adding lots of reverb to the Rhodes to push it far back in the mix? Food for thought Smile

What about using reverb on snare drum and some guitar parts that need that extra something, and using delay on main vocal while using reverb to ad bigness to back vocals so they sound kinda like choir singing in a big space. And with that synth bass I had done what it needed. The top end of it was too harsh for my ears so I used lpf or hi cut on it and brightened backing vocals. For example flanger or phaser can be used on rhodes to get kinda rotary speaker vibe to it or you could also leave it in mono.