Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
One minute smile mix
So here´s my mix of this song, please let me know anything that would help me improve it =)

.mp3    One Minute Smile 2.mp3 --  (Download: 10.17 MB)

I think your drums are hitting their compressor too much. The Hook sounds like just vocals in front of a small mono band. . . You're not far off, but you need to automate some more. Also, before the first hook there is a weird glitch that happened during bounce. Overall i like your sounds, I just think you need to re-balance a little bit, except the cymbals might be a touch too bright. Really, 3-6 db down on your drums would make a huge difference in the mix, along with bringing the guitars up during the hook. Maybe check the low mids of the guitars, because during the verse,they are really woofy. Like i said,not far off at all, just some re-balancing. One thing you might want to do is set your master output to mono, and get your general level based on that, then switch back to stereo and automate from there.

Happy mixing!

Draper
(16-12-2014, 04:53 AM)loweche6 Wrote: I think your drums are hitting their compressor too much. The Hook sounds like just vocals in front of a small mono band. . . You're not far off, but you need to automate some more. Also, before the first hook there is a weird glitch that happened during bounce. Overall i like your sounds, I just think you need to re-balance a little bit, except the cymbals might be a touch too bright. Really, 3-6 db down on your drums would make a huge difference in the mix, along with bringing the guitars up during the hook. Maybe check the low mids of the guitars, because during the verse,they are really woofy. Like i said,not far off at all, just some re-balancing. One thing you might want to do is set your master output to mono, and get your general level based on that, then switch back to stereo and automate from there.

Happy mixing!

Draper

Thanks for the feedback, i'm just beggining to mix so i appreciate it a lot. I noticed the weird glitch and i don´t know whats causing it, i did like five bounces and all sound similar but when i play it from the sesion on pro tools i don't hear it, so i can´t figure out the cause, never happened before. I´m going to try re-balancing and playing more with the automation and see how it goes, also thanks for the tip, never occur to me to set the master output to mono for balancing purposes.
I do agree that is a good mix, however instead of bringing the drums down I would bring the guitars up. Bringing the drums down would mess with the mono materials balance possibly creating a balance issue between the drums and vocals. Another avenue would be instead of bringing the guitars up or the drums down is to increase some of the high end on the guitar which would increase its apparent loudness and make it seem louder. I think you used Autotune or something on the vocals to try to tune them, be more careful with vocal tuners because on a few words you can hear her voice kid of swish. I know this part will sound kind of duh but make sure as far as the glitch goes your tracks arnt pasted together wrong at those points if you did any editing. Overall though keep mixing bro it sounds good.