Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 4.8 Average
Devil's Words MIX
Hey,

Here my mix of the song.
I added a little bit of a sample snare layer to compensate the lack of high-end-crack in the recorded snare. Also added some distortion to the bass guitar..
In general the mix was mainly balancing and some corrective EQ work.

Comments are welcome!

RJ

.mp3    Devil\'s Word RJMIX2.mp3 --  (Download: 4.45 MB)

Good job, I like it very much, but I think that guitars get a little lost in the verse. Smile (sorry for my English!!)
Thanks for your comments.

I used a sweeping EQ on some of the guitars in the verses. Maybe I should increase the lowest frequency to make it little more audible at that point..

RJ

(06-01-2013, 01:29 PM)Lore14th Wrote: Good job, I like it very much, but I think that guitars get a little lost in the verse. Smile (sorry for my English!!)

That's a real nice mix you have there, Erjee. I haven't attempted this mix yet and don't have any knowledge (yet) of any problems with the tracks. If the tracks allow, here's a few small items which stick out most to me for corrective action:

The mix is noticeably "wide" where the toms are concerned and this doesn't seem to match the overall balance. With two of the guitars almost hard left and hard right, that's also making things a bit unusual for what is essentially a nice sensible soundstage. Also ease-off the reverb level / decay on the toms too. Like in any mix, there's lots of refinements that can be made at any stage so I wouldn't want to be hyper-critical here. Technically, this is a pretty good mix at this stage. I hope these comments have helped in some way :o)
Hi Robert,

Thanks for your comments. I agree on your panning thoughts.
I narrowed it down a bit (MIX2).

Don't feel hyper-critical, that's why we are here Wink...
Indeed some refinements can always be made; what I like to do first ( on this forum mainly) set the tone, feel and the balances, the rest are details and can be done quickly afterwards.

RJ

(06-01-2013, 08:06 PM)Robert Wrote: That's a real nice mix you have there, Erjee. I haven't attempted this mix yet and don't have any knowledge (yet) of any problems with the tracks. If the tracks allow, here's a few small items which stick out most to me for corrective action:

The mix is noticeably "wide" where the toms are concerned and this doesn't seem to match the overall balance. With two of the guitars almost hard left and hard right, that's also making things a bit unusual for what is essentially a nice sensible soundstage. Also ease-off the reverb level / decay on the toms too. Like in any mix, there's lots of refinements that can be made at any stage so I wouldn't want to be hyper-critical here. Technically, this is a pretty good mix at this stage. I hope these comments have helped in some way :o)

On my taste master is overcompressed but in general i like it!)
I really liked the tone in the guitars, would you mind sharing what you did there?
Hi,

Thanks, I remember I did not do anything special there, only little bit of corrective (subtractive) EQ on the low mids, and a high-pass filter around 100Hz. I also remember there is a just a tiny bit of a saturation effect on the guitar bus. But like I said, only subtle stuff..
Hope I helped you,

RJ

(09-04-2013, 07:25 AM)Lekterdead Wrote: I really liked the tone in the guitars, would you mind sharing what you did there?

I love that vocal delay! And the drums sound absolutely huge! They don't have the definition I usually like, but I think this definitely works in your favour for this track!
Good Stuff!!! The drum samples really made this mix! The levels were really solid! The vocals seemed just a little too spread apart for my taste, but still an awesome outcome! EVERYONE SHOULD GIVE ME FEEDBACK ON MY MIX!! ;P