Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Xaurudame - Atlantis Bound - It Was My Fault For Waiting
I am actually kind of nervous about uploading this one, up until this point, nobody has ever commented on a mix, but I see the replies to everyone else since this song is so new to the archive. If I can't take criticism, I might as well give up mixing and stick to my day job.

Here's my mix of Atlantis Bound's "It Was My Fault For Waiting." I did an initial mix of this song, but thought it had a lot of problems, so I did a new version. I don't like to reference songs to the mix preview (you can't use the mixed version of the song you're mixing for a client as a reference, lol), so I used Flyleaf's "Fully Alive" as my reference (my friends kept saying Paramore, for some reason I heard Flyleaf, lol).

I learned a lot from this mix, less is more, high pass filters are your friends and it doesn't matter what it sounds like on its own, the mix matters. Literally the whole thing came crashing together for me with a final EQ move (tight Q cutting out some whirring sound in the low mids.

Let me have it with both barrels, lol, I've gotta get better somehow. I'm looking forward to commenting on some other mixes too.

Best Regards, Robert Hammon, United StatesCool

.mp3    Atlantis Bound - It Was My Fault For Waiting.mp3 --  (Download: 9.4 MB)

Pronounced Zar-oo-da-may
The greats weren't great because at birth they could paint, the greats were great because they painted alot.
Hi Xaurudame! Your mix sound good here! Didn't know Flyleaf so i'll add them to my list Smile. Here what IMO can be improve.

@1:45 Hi-Guitar are a little bit to loud
-you might have cut your rhythm guitars too high. The overall mix sound a little thin to my taste but at the same time, i like the aggressiveness of your sound.

I mixed the song myself and I'm looking to get some feedback too, so if you can take a listen and give your thoughts, it will be really appreciated.

Keep in mind that it's only my opinion and taste Smile
Thanks
Dom (sorry for my english)

Hey Dom,

Bad English? Please, you speak it better than most people I know here in the US, lol.

Thanks for the comment, I definitely get what you mean about sounding thin. In this case I will say its more of a personal preference, I wasn't a big fan of the bass part (so much to the point that the part in my mix is actually fake, don't tell anyone, lol). I wanted it to sound a little brighter instead of really dark.

I'll be sure to give your mix a listen and give you some feedback!

-Robert
Pronounced Zar-oo-da-may
The greats weren't great because at birth they could paint, the greats were great because they painted alot.
Hey Xaurudame! I think your mix sounds great overall. I really like the guitar sounds you have... nice and present without being harsh. The only small adjustments I would make are with the snare drum and lead vocal. The snare sounds like it could use a bit more snap from the snares. I don't know if there is a bottom mic track, but if there is, it can be blended louder with the top mic. If not, you may want to mix in a sample to give the drum more sizzle. Also, I would personally like to hear a bit more effects on the lead vocal to give it some space and depth, and to glue it to the rest of the mix. Adding a little delay, reverb, or both will do the trick, and maybe scooping a little out of the low mids and adding a bit of brightness around 5-8k. Experiment and see if you hear something you like. Again though, a great job overall!