Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
dBu Mix
Heartbeats by Juliet's Rescue mixed at dBu Recording Studio in Ottawa, Canada.

I hope you like it.
Any comments are welcome.
Mike.

.mp3    JulietsRescue_HeartBeats_02JAN2013.mp3 --  (Download: 7.82 MB)

You've got a good dose of 45Hz in there, which is nice, but I find myself hankering for a bit more definition and thump in the octave above that, especially as there isn't really a strong low end to the bass.

I like what you've done in terms of differentiating the different layers of the vocal arrangement, although I don't think the distortion treatment in the choruses is the most pragmatic choice, because it overburdens the 3-4kHz area of the spectrum that's already being stuffed pretty full by the guitars, synths, and cymbals. In general, I think you might need to disentangle that 3-4kHz zone and try to separate those instruments out a bit across the 1kHz-10kHz span, giving them each more of their own place to live. It's warfare at the moment! Smile

I'd probably give the bass a push in the choruses, because whatever buss compression your using is really dipping its level there. In fact, I'm not sure you're managing the buss compression as well as you can yet, and I think that they might actually be undermining the long-term dynamics be folding the choruses in on themselves.
Hi Mike (OP)

My opinions:
vocals sound a bit resonant around 1kHZ
I'd also prefer less reverb for vocals
You made those chorus guitars sound like hell's gate is opening, interesting idea.
Many instruments seem to be fighting for the same place in the spectrum
Maybe I'd roll off a bit of sub/low from the kick, sound like it's keeping my ears too busy.